Tonal Qualities : P-Bass w/flats vs. Fretless

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by LowDown Hal, Jul 8, 2008.

1. Please help educate me.

I currently have a Jazz, strung with a set of TI PowerBass. I like it.

I also have my old (original purchase) Squier P-Bass, pimped out with a Bone Nut, BAII Bridge, and some Quarter Pounders. My original thought had been to maybe throw some flats on this to learn from. However, I'm really enjoying getting to know this Bass again since throwing the parts on her.

So, I'm wondering if I should just keep it with some good rounds and maybe experiment with a Fretless. Possibly giving me the three choices of guitars and the range of tonal possibilities.

Hence my question.

:help: :bassist: :help:

2. GeneralElectric

GeneralElectric

Dec 26, 2007
    NY, NY
    Why not a fretless P-Bass with flats?

3. steve21

steve21 Inactive

why not a fretted P-bass with rounds?

4. GeneralElectric

GeneralElectric

Dec 26, 2007
    NY, NY
    Why not a fanned fret b-Bass with ground wounds?

5. jayarroz

jayarroz

Jul 10, 2007
    Boston
    Endorsing Artist: Glockenklang
    I really like flats on a p-bass, gives it a good motown sound. More thumpy, I guess I like flats because I'm mainly a UB player. Maybe they are tighter to so I can get more pull out of them? Plus I never change them!!!! I think that was my main resoning for switching!

6. envika

envika

Nov 27, 2007
    Bronx, NY
    Buying a set of flats is a lot easier than defretting a bass, and a lot more reversible.

But admittedly less awesome.

7. no1likesme

no1likesme

Dec 26, 2006
    Shepherd, MI
    I disagree, my fretted bass with flats is way more awesome than my defretted one.

8. Can you describe the difference in tone between the fretted bass with flats and the fretless?

9. jayarroz

jayarroz

Jul 10, 2007
    Boston
    Endorsing Artist: Glockenklang
    The fretted with flats more thump, your notes are steal on steal. Fretless your vibrating off of the wood more resonate sounding a little longer vibration, plus you can hear semitones when you move around the neck.

10. THANKS, that makes sense.

11. Thump Jr.

Thump Jr.

Jun 8, 2008
    SW FL
    I'd go with the flats, myself. Not that I'm any expert, but I think having a bass with flats would be great. I'm not familiar with the strings on your Jazz - I read that they have a hex core. Do they perform more like rounds? In that case, the flats would offer more tonal variety. I'm planning on putting a set of flats on the next bass I buy. That is, when I have money.

12. I'm not intending to change the strings on the J Bass. For now I'm happy with the TI PowerBass Strings.

What I'm talking about is my P-Bass. I decided to just go for it. So today I changed the strings on the P to a set of TI JazzFlats (JF344's).

Now I just need to play it for a while to break them in and then "experience the magic"

13. mongo2

mongo2

Feb 17, 2008
    Da Shaw
    I'll just say:

Nylon tapes and boxing gloves. :)

14. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jul 26, 2021