Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Tonal Tendencies of MTD Kingston

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by dirk, Aug 9, 2002.

1. dirk

dirk

Apr 6, 2000
    Memphis, TN
    If you could describe the tonal tendencies of the MTD Kingston in reference to a P-Bass and the bridge pickup solo on a jazz bass where would the Kingston fall. I would assume not as much thump as the P but less bite than the jazz. Also how is the neck compared to a P? A jazz? Thanks.

Dirk

2. Angus

Angus Supporting Member

Apr 16, 2000
    Palo Alto, CA
    I've never played one, but...why not try one? Seems like it would be the most useful plan.

3. geshel

geshel

Oct 2, 2001
    Seattle
    Well, considering it's basically a Stingray design, you're going to get alot farther if you ask for comparisons in terms of an MM Stingray. :)

IME has the basic Stingray sound, but without as beefy of lows or aggressive highs.

4. dirk

dirk

Apr 6, 2000
    Memphis, TN
    Well, I don't have an oppurtunity to try one. There are none here in the NE Louisiana area. I've just had a major GAS attack for a Kingston, and was curious about it's tone. This GAS has been lurking inside of me for awhile, but just now resurfaced. I'm not a fan of the Ibanez ATK I happened upon because I don't like the preamp. I like the Stingray tone but want a more passive sound. That desire plus the price tag make the Kingston very attractive.

Dirk

5. adrian garcia

adrian garcia

Apr 9, 2001
    las vegas. nevada
    Endorsing Artist: Nordy Basses, Schroeder Cabs, Gallien Krueger Amps
    Dirk- the tone falls somewhere between a j bass growl and a musicman slap- but not exactly, just a guide- i have some clips on my website- check it out:
    http://www.access-bass.com/pages/kingston.html
    listen to them :cool:, marvel at my playing :rolleyes: , and then buy one from my store!!:D
    Seriously, theyre a great bass especially for the price- good luck! - Adrian

6. the soundbite is titled "fingered Kingston".... either i didn't mature past 13 years old emotionally or it's very late... it really struck me as funny :D

7. ldiezman

ldiezman

Jul 11, 2001
    Nashville
    You should have a warning under those clips..

:::Warning the player of this beast is not of normal bass playing skill... he is in fact a bass beast. Listen at your own risk::::::

8. I own an Mtd Kingston 5! I also own a Fender Jazz Bass! I have never played a P-bass. The only way that I can describe the tone, is to listen to the Red Hot Chili Peppers. You can imitate any sound Flea can. I am a beginner, so I can't jump into detail as good as others can, but this bass has become my favored bass out of my two jazzes. I think everyone should play one. The playability and tone is awesome!

9. RS

RS

Aug 27, 2000
    Cleveland, OH
    If I may "critique" Adrian's samples, his tone is so good and so much in his fingers that the samples all sound pretty similar to my ears.

Luckily for me I suck and all my basses sound like themselves and not like me:mad:

10. geshel

geshel

Oct 2, 2001
    Seattle
    Sorry dude, I can't get anywhere near a Spector sound (like, say, Knock Me Down) with my Kingston. Or a Wal sound (Suck My Kiss). You really need to qualify that Flea statement - which songs, he's actually had some very different sounds over the years.

11. I honestly don't have a problem getting any sound or tone comperable to Flea's. I play everything from early Chili Peppers to the most recent Chili Peppers.

12. dirk

dirk

Apr 6, 2000
    Memphis, TN
    Thanks Adrian. I will definitely consider your store when I venture into Kingston-dom, if I venture into 'new Kingston-dom'. I think I want to trade my Ibanez ATK for a used Kingston if I can find one. I'll have to mull it over a little more but I think the Kingston or a MIM Jazz will be my next bass.

Dirk

13. dirk

dirk

Apr 6, 2000
    Memphis, TN
    Oh I almost forgot to ask.
    Adrian,
    how does the neck compare to that of a P or Stingray?

Dirk

14. adrian garcia

adrian garcia

Apr 9, 2001
    las vegas. nevada
    Endorsing Artist: Nordy Basses, Schroeder Cabs, Gallien Krueger Amps
    the neck is super comfortable- it is Mike Tobias' asymetrical design and fits like a glove- way better, i think.

15. frederic b. hodshon

frederic b. hodshon Supporting Member

May 10, 2000
    Lake Forest, CA
    None.
  16. dirk

dirk

Apr 6, 2000
    Memphis, TN
    Well, I'm in the market for the 4 string version. I'm getting money back from my scholarships this fall and I might invest in a bass (I have to talk to my parents about it which is never good) so the Kingston will be it. I've been on a roll satisfying my GAS here lately. I satisfied my fretless GAS with a Yamaha and I satisfied my cheap bass to upgrade as finances allow with a MIK Squier (the pickup sounds horrible and maybe the bridge could use changing), so this could be another satisfaction. Good luck to me when I talk to my parents.

Dirk