1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

tonal transitions??

Discussion in 'Technique [BG]' started by detone, Jun 12, 2007.

1. detone

detone

Jun 11, 2007
    anyone have any thoughts or suggestions as to smoothing out the tonal transitions between the 3rd/4th strings and the 1st/ 2nd...i'm getting an unusually abrupt tonal change...should i be or is that correctable?:confused:

2. detone

detone

Jun 11, 2007
    just a bump to get a brother a little help.....

3. PSPookie

PSPookie Supporting Member

Aug 13, 2006
    Lubbock, TX
    I don't understand the question.

4. permagrin

permagrin

May 1, 2003
    San Pedro, CA
    I believe what he's asking is how to minimize the tonal differences between playing the same notes on different strings, e.g. and E on the 12th fret of the E string vs the 7th fret on the A string vs the 2nd fret on the D string.

The reason a difference exists is due to the difference in physics to create the pitch, namely thicker strings with a shorter vibrating length vs thinner strings with longer vibrating lengths. Also, there will be a physical difference in the location of peaks and nodes along the vibrating portion of the strings, and which peaks/nodes exist above the pickups (hope that made sense).

So anyway, to a certain extent you're never going to around it, so think about how you want the note to sound if you've got a real choice as to where to play it. Generally, use the thicker string higher up if you need the note to feel full. Use the thinner string if you want the note to be more biting.

You may want to post your question in the the strings forum, some string sets may be thought to have more equal balance string-to-string. I'd think that strings that are more close in gauge (say 90-75-60-50) might give more even response, but that could be at the cost of uneven tension (?), which is why I don't think such a set exists unless you buy singles - and I'd wager that road would be extremely hit-or-miss.

You can also experiment with adjusting pickup height, namely raising the pickups on the treble side to try to get more even response.

5. fullrangebass

fullrangebass

May 7, 2005
    Europe
    If I understood correctly, you have tonal differences when you switch between strings. The way I got the issue resolved was when I received my Dingwall. Smooth tone along the string as well as across the strings

6. fullrangebass

fullrangebass

May 7, 2005
    Europe
    IMHO the treble strings will sound louder but the magnetic pull will also increase making the notes die faster

7. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Mar 6, 2021