1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Tonal variations from a Peavey T-40?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Tx_Thumper, Aug 17, 2007.

1. Tx_Thumper

Tx_Thumper

Aug 17, 2007
    Hi, I'm new to this forum...HI! ;)

I've read a number of threads about the Peavey T-40, but wanted to ask a specific question about it's sound(s). Several posts say that it has "a lot of tone options", and so I wanted to ask what they were? Can it do the deep muddy "Precision" kinda sound for blues? Bright chordal sounds with clarity?

I'm asking because I've come across a blonde '79 with a maple fingerboard with it's hardshell case. It's in incredible condition, only a few belt marks on the back , the electronics all seem to work, and otherwise it appears to be 'as new'. It's been in a closet for several years and as near as I can tell the neck's even dead straight. The seller wants $250 for it. The strings are shot, and so I thought I would ask anyone here with experience with it if they might share their "sound and tone" experiences.....help?

I know most of the threads here say nothing but positive things about it, except it's weight. I may be reading incorrectly, but the threads seem to say that it's only 2 or 3 pounds heavier then other bases. But what does it sound like, or what CAN it sound like?

2. Tx_Thumper

Tx_Thumper

Aug 17, 2007
    Thanks, Lug, should I take that as a yes, it has a few tones? ;)

I appreciate the sound files! Nice playing, btw!

Is $250 a fair price for a T-40 in excellent condition, with a Peavey hardcase?

Thumper

3. lug

lug

Feb 11, 2005
    League City, Tx
    More than fair. Here are mine:

a76op6to4j.

BTW, compliment my playing again and I'll gut you like a fish. :mad:

My resume'
    http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=lug

4. Tx_Thumper

Tx_Thumper

Aug 17, 2007
    Two sweet pieces! The one I've found looks like the bottom one, in color and shading.

Sorry...but you do sound GREAT on those tracks!

So since you OBVIOUSLY have experience with this piece, can it get a deep, woody, bluesy thing going? I'd guess neck PUP with the tone rolled off a bit,,,,but it's a guess.

5. The tone controls also change the pickups from humbucking to single coil. From 1-7 humbucking 7-10 single coil. I love my T-40, it's an amazing bass. Nice playing lug!!!!

6. I have mine set with the phase switch in the up position (down seems kinda useless), with the neck pickup in single coil mode and the bridge in humbucking and it sounds like a Rickenbacker.... I **** you not. It's the only bass that can come close to a Rick in tone.

It's got a mixed match set of rounds on it now, but I'll be getting some custom DR's soon with, .110-.45, and I'll make some clips.

Nothing like fresh DR's.

7. TheEmptyCell

TheEmptyCell Bearded Dingwall Enthusiast Banned SUSPENDED

I've owned one, much like the TS is explaining, for nearly a year now: '79, blonde hard-ash, maple board.

The electronics are great, but I think my pickup selector is wired incorrectly. In the middle, both pickups on, when I turn down the neck volume, you still get the bridge pickup in full. With the bridge volume down, neck on full, there's no sound.

Other than this, and the weight (nearly 12 pounds), it's an excellent bass. With the neck PU right against the fretboard, you can get a nice mudbucker/ P bass tone, and the bridge pickup is punchy as all get out. I find the phase switch useless. Definitely get it. I've got mine strung with DR HiBeams 45-105.

8. Yea, phase switch makes no sense to me.

And when it's in single coil mode, are both coils still functioning or is one coil turned off? if so, which one? I haven't had a chance to check for myself.

9. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Supporting Member

Oh no!!! Lug is dragging out the mp3s! Hide the women and children!!!:eek:

10. I find the phase switch is like switching to another channel. I think of it as the woofy switch. :) I provides lots of usefull tones but I have to roll off the bass and turn up the treble to use them. The VLE and VPF knobs on my LMII really help shape those tones as well.

11. Dr. Cheese

Dr. Cheese Gold Supporting Member

Mar 3, 2004
    Metro St. Louis
    Here is a clip of Hub and the Roots. It really lets you hear how good a T-40 can sound:

12. lug

lug

Feb 11, 2005
    League City, Tx
    Let me show you the back of the headstock of the bottom one, it's kinda special :D

gc5ra85ih2.

None of my clips have the tones rolled off. I need to get a good recording in humbucking mode but don't have one. It can definately get a LOT more "woofy" if that's what you are looking for. The top one I bought new when it first came out. Oddly enough, I played the bottom one when they were shipping it around as a demo and had the opportunity to buy it last year from a friend over at ebassist.

13. That DID sound sweet. It cut through the mix with no problem as well!!

14. Dr. Cheese

Mar 3, 2004
    Metro St. Louis
    That's why I am such a huge fan of older American Peaveys. They are incredibly well made basses that sound great and can be had often for less than beginner level new basses.

15. I just worked out a trade for a Peavey G bass (4string 35" scale) I loved the Gv I had. I'm really looking foward to its arrival. It'll feel like a feather compared to the T-40 :p

16. Tx_Thumper

Tx_Thumper

Aug 17, 2007
    Wow, Dr. Cheese, the T-40 in that clip sounds AWESOME!! Am I mistaken, or was there a bit of slappin' going on in there?? ;)

Ok, so quick question....from what I'm hearing, the '79 I found sounds like a good deal....and there are obviously a lot of good tones available....and I don't care about the weight, 12 to 14 pounds sounds like only a couple of pounds more then a Jazz....but in your experience, can this bass do "woody and deep" well enough for the blues?

I'm only asking because the one I found doesn't have strings on it, and this isn't something I can just run to my local GC and try out....

I should have mentioned that, I'm into old blues/classic rock and a bit of funky, jazzy blues......think Foghat, the Winter Brothers, Atlanta Rhythm Section, etc.....

Can the T-40 rock the blues, gentleman??

;)))))))))

17. Tx_Thumper

Tx_Thumper

Aug 17, 2007
    What do I think?? Mr. Lug, that is mind boggling?!?!?! How in the world did you get a chance to play that one when it was being demo'd?? OMG what a find!!!!

You, Mr. Lug, are DA MAN !!!!!

18. Eilif

Eilif Supporting Member

Oct 1, 2001
    Chicago
    YES! Definately can do the old school blues, and I see no reason it can't do the new stuff. A Darkstarred 1980 T-40 is may main bass in my country band, and if I didn't have that one, My '79 stock t-40 would take it's place. They rock!

Get out there and buy the darn thing. Worst case, you can resell it here for what you got into it.

19. Dr. Cheese

Mar 3, 2004
    Metro St. Louis
    I just noticed that serial number! With that kind of luck, you need to play the Lotto!:) TX_Thumper, Hub does slap it a bit. It sounds like a jazz to my ears.