Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Noobai, Aug 4, 2003.

1. Noobai

Aug 25, 2002
    Stanford, CA
    Hey, Im not sure where this goes, but as Ill be fiddling with my bass, I may as well put it here :)

Im trying to find "my tone". Whats new. Anyways, I know what the tone is, but Im trying to apply it correctly.

The tone I like is the deep, soft, and juicy tone, ala the Streamer Stage II (Incubus, 311 tone).

Well, I cant exactly afford one, so I settled for another great bass. The Ibanez BTB 405QM.

I play metal. And I want that deep, booming bass in there. The problem is, it gets caught up in the kick drum frequencies, or just plain overloaded. I want it to come through, I want the bass to be its own element, not just a damned guitar backing.

What Im wondering is how do I get that tone, and still cut through? My guess is wattage? Just a simple power equation, be louder?

Also, how much of it depends on the bass, my tone is almost identical to John Myung right now (I was indeed surprised when I saw them live, I was all, yay), but it still doesnt cut quite how I want it.

I want the BOOMING bass of Incubus - Glass or 311 - Feel So Good. Just in a metal sense ;)

Any advice would be wonderful! Thanks!

2. Brooks

Apr 4, 2000
    Middle East
    I could be wrong (and probably am), but what you are describing to me sounds like a good Precision tone. Boomy, yet cuts through 2 distorted guitars and doesn't get entangled with a kick drum. Boost lower mids (120-200hz) on your amp or preamp and see what happens.
  3. buzzbass

buzzbass Shoo Shoo Retarded Flu !

Apr 23, 2003
    You may want to try fiddling with your EQ settings. Try boosting around the 200Hz region, it'll help you cut through without losing your thump.