1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to post, make friends, earn reward points at our store, remove most ads and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Tonality

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Noobai, Aug 4, 2003.

1. Noobai

Noobai

Aug 25, 2002
    Stanford, CA
    Hey, Im not sure where this goes, but as Ill be fiddling with my bass, I may as well put it here :)

Im trying to find "my tone". Whats new. Anyways, I know what the tone is, but Im trying to apply it correctly.

The tone I like is the deep, soft, and juicy tone, ala the Streamer Stage II (Incubus, 311 tone).

Well, I cant exactly afford one, so I settled for another great bass. The Ibanez BTB 405QM.

I play metal. And I want that deep, booming bass in there. The problem is, it gets caught up in the kick drum frequencies, or just plain overloaded. I want it to come through, I want the bass to be its own element, not just a damned guitar backing.

What Im wondering is how do I get that tone, and still cut through? My guess is wattage? Just a simple power equation, be louder?

Also, how much of it depends on the bass, my tone is almost identical to John Myung right now (I was indeed surprised when I saw them live, I was all, yay), but it still doesnt cut quite how I want it.

I want the BOOMING bass of Incubus - Glass or 311 - Feel So Good. Just in a metal sense ;)

Any advice would be wonderful! Thanks!

-Noobai

2. Brooks

Brooks

Apr 4, 2000
    Middle East
    I could be wrong (and probably am), but what you are describing to me sounds like a good Precision tone. Boomy, yet cuts through 2 distorted guitars and doesn't get entangled with a kick drum. Boost lower mids (120-200hz) on your amp or preamp and see what happens.

3. buzzbass

buzzbass Shoo Shoo Retarded Flu ! Supporting Member

Apr 23, 2003
    NJ
    You may want to try fiddling with your EQ settings. Try boosting around the 200Hz region, it'll help you cut through without losing your thump.