1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Tone advice needed - P-bass & Ibby EMGhz

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by J-wall, Jan 9, 2012.

1. J-wall

J-wall Supporting Member

Sep 7, 2006
    Lawrenceburg, TN
    Back story:

I have a MIM P-bass with a 1/4 pounders strung with Cirkle-K's and I love it the way it sounds - so present, so punchy, just "right" - not necessarily the only sound I like bass-wise, but one that is a really appealing sound to me.

The bad parts are that it is heavy (my back is wonky) and it doesn't have a 5th string which I really like to have.

To fix this, I have an Ibanex SRA505, mahogany body, EMG hz pickups, Ibanez 3 band pre-amp, DR Fatbeams, and it is really light, so form factor wise, it is a keeper - less than 8 lbs.

I get it that they are not the same bass at all and that they won't (in current cofiguration) sound alike. But the Ibanez seems REALLY mid-scooped. I mean, I like the extended lows compared to my P-bass, but there is much less punch and authority. It IS growly down on the E and B strings and I like that, I just want more punch. Even when I boost 250-300 hz on my amp, though better, it is still not the same. (I boost a bit of 1K, too to help more, but still not "there.")

I don't slap, I play with my fingers cause I like the increased warmth/fullness, rarely play with a pick. I prefer a Kappalite 3015 non-LF fullrange, no tweeter. P-bass performs well here or with other cabs. Ibanez is not bad, just different - I have to fight it a lot I feel.

Questions:

1. Will a different pre-amp help anything? If so, which one(s)? EMG BQS for hz?

2. Is this just how EMG 35-45hz's sound? I don't mean to bash them, just not sure if it is the pups or something else.

3. People who bash the hz's tend to prefer the EMG DC's - do they have more of what my P-bass gives me? I have never heard them that I know of and cannot readily try them out.

Sorry for the long read, but thanks for your time and help.

2. Duckwater

Duckwater

May 10, 2010
    USA, Washington
    IMO Ibanez basses and EMG pickups always have a big mid scoop right about where P basses have their mid hump.

Try favoring the neck pickup (both pickups on full will create more mid scoop), cutting below 80hz and boosting 100-250hz. Don't expect it to get in P bass territory but you can get a little closer with the right eqing, pickup blend, and strings.

3. J-wall

J-wall Supporting Member

Sep 7, 2006
    Lawrenceburg, TN
    Thanks, Duckwater.

I agree, the neck by itself is better than the pair. I will see what I can do to cut the eq that low, I do that some times but I will pay more attention :)

4. SGD Lutherie

SGD Lutherie Banned Commercial User

Aug 21, 2008
    Bloomfield, NJ
    Owner, SGD Music Products
    Maybe. The EMG preamps are pretty good. Any of the preamps called "control" will work with passive pickups. The only difference os that they don't come with blend pots.

I hear they are on the muddy side.

Absolutely not. They are harsh edgy sounding pickups. They were originally designed to sound like a Music man pickup and be used in the sweet spot. The CS pickup wound sound more like a Fender.

You have a PM.