Tone and Effects

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by Bryan Myers, Jul 31, 2003.

1. Bryan Myers

Bryan Myers

Jul 11, 2003
    Vacaville, Ca
    What effects, if any, are recommended for recording. I'm mostly looking for quality tone. I play a Warwick 5 st. Thumb, and corvette, and a Warwick 4st fretless.:. I'm looking at buying LMB-3 limiter enhancer or a Pandora Toneworks PX4b or a Boss GT-6b effects processor. I'm working on a studio project for a singer whose music sounds vary from Santana, Sade to Evanescence. confused:
  2. redneck2wild

Nov 27, 2002
    Memphis, TN
    You could try the new Aphex 1402 Bass Guitar Exciter. I recently bought one and I am surprised at how much it can help a recording.

You might also want to try a BBE processor.
  3. rickbass

rickbass Supporting Member

NO, NO, NO - not the Pandora. It's not meant to be an effects box. It's a headphone practice device. The digital effects sound cheesy. The Pandora's fuzz/overdrive/and delay sound fine to me over headphones but sound wretched out of an amp..........they thin the sound to the point of anemia.

Go analog, not digital, with true bypass if you aren't going to use them for an entire song.

The "grab bag of effects in one box" digital units don't cut it, IME, except for maybe an ART Nightbass. But then, I've never tried the GT6-B or a Bass Pod.
  4. adamaarts

adamaarts Supporting Member

Apr 19, 2001
    Corona, CA
    Beta tester Source Audio, demos/reviews of many others
    on my bands recordings i use no effects at all, just plug straight in and have a separtate track for my amp/cab. then where i want the effects if any, which hasnt been much yet, i have our studio guy put them in, hes really cool about it and most of the time it sounds better without effects.

i mostly save effects for live situations anyway.