1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Tone and flexibility of older MIJ SR800 and 900 series Ibbys?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Phlipper, Mar 31, 2013.

1. Phlipper

Phlipper

Feb 5, 2013
    Fayetteville, NC
    Endorsing Artist: Old SS Peavey Lead Sleds and Peavey tube amps
    I've seen a few older Ibanez MIJ SR series 8s and 9s for less than $400, and some swear it's the deal of the century, but I haven't read much about the tone. Could someone articulate what tones one can pull from an older MIJ SR? Is it snappy and hi-fi, or old school thump with punch, or can it do both? Are they pretty flexible, or do they work better for J-bass tones? Is it more of a P-bass vibe?

FWIW ... I really like the flexibility of the tones from the MIK/MII Ibanez SR series, even the cheaper 370M (though the pickups are getting changed to the new less radiused models for better matched volume on the E and D). With all the tone pots on my Max 700 at noon I can run the controls on the bass centered in the detents for a nice clear hi-fi tone, roll the tone pot up for slapping, or roll it all the way off and goose the bass pot a hair for a fat and punchy Tommy Shannon vibe. For less than $400 it ain't bad. But what might the MIJ SR series bring to the table? What holes might one of them fill?

2. Phlipper

Phlipper

Feb 5, 2013
    Fayetteville, NC
    Endorsing Artist: Old SS Peavey Lead Sleds and Peavey tube amps
    No one still plays the MIJ SRs? No comparisons to J-basses, P-basses, or MM?

3. Lloydtownsend

Lloydtownsend

Aug 23, 2010
    Michigan
    None
    I have one! A MIJ sr800 accucast bridge, AFR pickups. $200 bucks with hard case! Totally slays all!!!

FWIW I have 5 Alembics, 3 spectors, Warwick, Lakland, Zon, Aria, blah blah blah... Most of the "big names"..

I can only speak of the rock-extreme metal and solo bass stuff but compared to all of my other basses, it's easily as good as any of the others I mentioned, and honestly it's better.

I know, I'm supposed to say the high end stuff is "better"... It's not. They're prettier but not any better.

But honestly is there an uglier bass than the sound gear??? I think not.

I hope this helps.