Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

tone and headroom tips

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by LarryO, Jun 11, 2004.

1. LarryO

LarryO

Apr 4, 2004
    What I have been told is that doubling your power output will only increase your volume by 3db (with all other factors remaining the same) and that the human ear recieves the mid-range frequencies of a sound wave better than the low or high end.........With these 2 things in mind do any of you have interesting facts regarding eq (tone shaping) and power output relation?

2. Mcrelly

Mcrelly

Jun 16, 2003
    Minnesota, USA
    I don't know if its interesting, but midrange and "cut-through" frequencies for my bass guitar have been the most elusive things to find. its relatively easy to get loud bass (just get big speakers!) but to find a preamp midrange sound that allows me to hear just enough finger pluck sound without being too "zingy" (sting sounds, sloppy technique) has been the longer search for me.

I'm hoping the tech 21 RPM, not RBI, will be my answere, we'll see......

3. ihixulu

ihixulu Supporting Member

Mar 31, 2000
    getting warmer
    My take:

Avoid boosting below ~75, most cabs don't do it well, most rooms can't handle it and it uses up a disproportionate amount of power to reproduce those low frequencies i.e loss of headroom for little gain.

I like boosting in the 80-110hz range to add "lows" to the sound and treat the 2-4k range as treble. Anything above that is "air" which is great for recording but gets lost in pretty much all of my gigs.

200-300hz mids add grunt, 600-800hz add "snark". For me "zing" lives around 1k to 1.5khz

just MO.

4. Finger Blister

Finger Blister

Jul 8, 2003
    +1