Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Tone and the BFX

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by Kraken, Aug 31, 2001.

1. Kraken

Kraken

Jun 19, 2001
    Aylesbury, England
    Does anyone know if by tweaking any of the effects I can get a cleaner sound through this box.

Going direct into my amp I can get a wonderful Growl outta my Bass I don't want to lose the growl but I want to use the effects is it possible to tweak them to do this? Maybe turn off the ZNR or something similar (I tried turning off the AMP modeller)

Bassed and confused

2. SuperDuck

SuperDuck

Sep 26, 2000
    Wisconsin
    You could find an effect you don't like, and just scratch the whole thing. Then, add the effects one at a time, adjusting each one to retain the growl you're after.

I don't think that ZNR affects your tone that much, I would just leave it be. I find it hard NOT to use it with the effects, because a lot of them are pretty noisy.

3. gfab333

gfab333

Mar 22, 2000
    Honolulu, Hawaii
    I use a BFX-708 with my GK 1001rb and Eden cabs. I notice a very slight degradation in tone. I don't think the audience can tell the difference.

I use my BFX occasionally - just when I'm going to a gig where I'll be doing a lot of solos. When I solo, I often use effects like flanger, wah, envelope filter, octave, and overdrive. these effects really make people "turn their heads". The effects are fun to use as well.

Since I don't use the pedal all the time, and the effect on tone is very slight, I've found that I can live with it.

4. jmrtnko

jmrtnko

Jul 9, 2001
    as far as i understand it, the ZNR is just a gate. it closes off the signal at the volume you specify. it shouldn't have any effect on the signal once it's over the threshold.

perhaps it's your pre-amp that's giving the bass the growl you like. what amp are you using? is there a post-preamp effects loop?

jmar.

5. Kraken

Kraken

Jun 19, 2001
    Aylesbury, England
    the Amp I'm using is a Trace Elliot GP7sm130 (something like that) it's a combo with a 15"speaker

Damn Fine amp If a little old now