Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Tone change on amp from practice to gig?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Highpines, Feb 25, 2005.

1. I was wondering if you guy's change the EQ or tone settings different when practicing and then playing out because of the larger room? Just got back together with the same band after a few years (practice at this point) but when we played out before I dont think I changed anything. Now I'm thinking or concentrating on my sound alot more and it seems that in a larger room you would pump up the bass on your amp.....Hmmmmm....just a thought

2. No, in fact many times you might want to keep the bass flat (or maybe even cut slightly) and boost the mids.

Too much bass eats power and sounds muddy. Mids are your friend....do a search on this forum, it may take a while but you will eventually find quite a bit of discussion on this issue.

3. Thanx......

4. Of course, this is just a general rule, some people may have unique situations... :D

5. Bayou_Brawler

Bayou_Brawler The most hurtful thing ever realized

Oct 23, 2003
    Ann Arbor, MI
    hey give the guy a break. is this a data base or a discussion forum? :)

ha ha and i can't help ya man i'm just now starting to get into technical amp stuff.... ;)

6. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    I agree with nashvillebill. In a bigger room, more bass will reverb in a typically unpleasant way. Mids will bring you into the mix better, and are the key to perceiving the actual pitch of the bass notes.

7. nonsqtr

nonsqtr The emperor has no clothes!

Aug 29, 2003
    Burbank CA USA
    +1

8. I leave my eq the same except take out a bit of bass if the room is boomy.

Dont adjust everything or else you wont get the sound you want, just a bit of bass tweeking normally does it.

9. :confused:

Hey, i answered his question, I'm just encouraging him to look into the archives....he can find answers from sound engineers that have a lot more expertise than I've got. What's wrong with encouraging people to do a search?

10. Bayou_Brawler

Oct 23, 2003
    Ann Arbor, MI
    i know........searching just makes me crazy :)

11. Munjibunga

May 6, 2000
    Yeah, well seeing the same question the 1,000th time makes the rest of us crazy. Sorry, Bayou, but you're destined to lose on this one.

12. At least this question wasn't quite as bad as the perennial "how do I change the ohmage [sic] on my cabinet" :rolleyes:

:D

13. Hey Guy's...I do search before starting a new thred, sometimes I'm succsessful sometimes not and If you've seen my threads before I dont ask...."Is 10 watts enough to gig with ?" or "Why does my amp suck with all the knob thingies set to 10?"
    TB is a grat place for information and there are alot of great people here......Thanx for the help! Oh...one more thing...."Can I put guitar strings on my bass?"...ooops wrong forum :)

14. Munjibunga

May 6, 2000
    Not really, but you can put bass strings on your guitar.

15. Bayou_Brawler

Oct 23, 2003
    Ann Arbor, MI
    do you guys boil your strings?

16. cb56

cb56

Jul 2, 2000
    Central Illinois
    I agree and do the same.

If none of us started threads on subjects that have been "done before", I think this place would dry up in a hurry because I think most subjects have been covered by now.

17. Yep, So true......and I also think that (for me anyway) that showing a "sence of humor" when replying to a thread is kinda hard when typing it out and can be taken the wrong way or not understood at all. I take it all with a grain of salt ... try to post resposibly....use grammmmmer and I have learned a great deal in the short time I've been here. The thread on "Why does my amp suck"?? had a reply that basically (no quote) said that alot of experienced people take the time to respond to new questions here....so listen to them......I agree 100%. We are not here to waist time....I think we're here to help each other right?..........Now I'm going to go practice.......

18. Bayou_Brawler

Oct 23, 2003
    Ann Arbor, MI
    i agree searching is important......but so is keeping it an open discussion where you don't have people posting in fear and apologizing and explaining that they really did do a search before eevry post. there must be a balance...... :)

19. I'm balanced...........3/4 gin & 1/4 tonic......:)

20. Bayou_Brawler

Oct 23, 2003
    Ann Arbor, MI
    nice........

well i'm off to get unbalanced with 1/2 jack and 1/2 coke