1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Tone Check! Feedback greatly appreciated

Discussion in 'Recordings [BG]' started by Snowglo, May 1, 2015.

1. Snowglo

Snowglo Pro Aris et Focis Supporting Member

Nov 15, 2013
    Orygun
    U.S. Military endorsement since 1984
    Bottom feeder brethren. I believe I have finally found “my” tone. Like much of you, I have been experimenting for countless years, and spent way too many greenbacks attempting to find a tone best suited for my music (I play in an original rock band). I believe I’m 95-98% there. Just need a tad more edge.

Here’s a clip I thru together in about 10 minutes utilizing a Focusrite iTrack Solo I purchased last week to capture ideas on my iPad utilizing without needing to fire up the whole DAW. Anyway, the signal chain is; Rick 4003 (dead DR Low Rider strings) > Zoom MS-60b > Darkglass B7k > DHA VT1-EQ-Bass-Drive > Focusrite.

Like I said, it’s almost 100% on the money. Perhaps a fresh set of strings will give me the 100% I’m looking for. Funny thing is when I run a pair of cheap @$$ headphones off the DHA VT1, the tone is perfect. However, when I DI from the VT1 to the Focusrite I lose a tad bit of the edge. Has to be the crappy headphones coloring the tone in a positive manner. FWTW, live the signal will run to a Crest Pro and fEARful 12/6, so I’m not worried about my amp and/or cabinet coloring the tone.

I think it’s a pretty cool tone for modern rock. Please don’t bash my playing too much. I’m fully aware I reside in the “crappy bassists with cool equipment” category.

Misfit Wookiee and pacojas like this.
  2. pacojas

pacojas "FYYA BUN"

Oct 11, 2009
    MEXICANADAMERICA
    sounds great even through iphone speakers! must sound amazing with the fEARful..., obviously!

3. Snowglo

Nov 15, 2013
    Orygun
    This weekend I spent some time trying to mimic the tone coloration my cheapo headphones add. No luck with eq adjustments on the B7k & VT1. I may add a graphic eq in the MS-60b. Still running on dead strings though, so I don't want to tweak things too much before I toss on a fresh set.

4. MattZilla

MattZilla

Jun 26, 2013
    CNY
    never thought there'd be a market for a "cheapie headphone emulator" pedal ;) sounds great through my laptop!

5. Snowglo

Nov 15, 2013
    Orygun
    Too funny! Laid down some tracks last night for my bands new CD. My tone really kicked in the scratch track mix, so I think it's fine.

6. sonicnuance

sonicnuance Commercial User

Aug 30, 2003
    California, USA
    Engineer & Owner, Sonic Nuance Electronics
    I liked the playing and the tone. It would be nice to hear the tone in a mix as I find what sounds good solo never quite works in a mix... and visa versa. I suspect it will work well in a mix as it has a bit of that "nasal" midrange that seems to help get a bass track to pop out of a mix and sound punchy.

So in essence, I wouldn't change anything until you try adding other instruments to a mix and see how it works. It definitely has potential.