Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Tone Control Buzz!!!

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by CraigD, Apr 14, 2001.

1. CraigD

CraigD

Jul 21, 2000
    Ottawa, Canada
    Hey guys.

I have an MIM Fender Jazz bass - I know opinions vary but I love that thing. Recently it has developed a bit of a buzz. I've checked cables and connections and I'm playing through a brand new amp. The buzz is dampened somewhat when I turn the tone control all the way down, and tends to stop when my fingers are on the strings.

Can anyone tell me what's going on with this? I've opened it up and can't see any loose connections. Any help help would be appreciated.

(Don't know if this is the right place to post this, but I thought I'd try here)
    Cheers
    Craig

2. The tone knob buzz is... well, inevitable as far as I know, but it can be reduced drastically.

You're problem is grounding; if the buzz stops when the strings are touched, that's your problem.

To diagnose a grounding problem properly, the first step is to just try different outlets. Also loose plugs to the wall will cause grouding issues.

Try tightening the nut on your bass's output jack.

If you still have the buzz, you may need to unscrew your bridge, and check the ground wire's connection there.

Just keep in mind, those J pickups are single coil, and are therefore prone to buzzing.