Tone control on Schrecter C-4

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by r05c03, Aug 26, 2005.

1. r05c03

Jul 21, 2005
    Lafayette, IN

So here I have new Schecter C-4. I like it, it is easy to play, a deep low end, nice highs, and having active pick ups it has a diversity of tone. It has added new dimensions to collection. But here is the problem, I have never had an active bass or a bass with more than 1 vol and 1 tone knob. this has four knobs. I have no manual. I think that I have figured out that the two knobs closests to the pickups are the master vols. The others must belong to the 2 band eq. I know that these knobs alter the tone of the bass, but when I am playing with the tone all I am doing is moving knobs. If I knew for example what some setting might do or how a specific setting effects the sound I could make a more educated effort and tone modification. Can someone more experience than I am with active pickups and onboard eq. give me some insight. Thanks.
  2. Aerolithe

Jan 23, 2005
    Columbia, MO
    I just bought this bass two weeks ago for a great price and I love mine, and I couldn't find the manual on Schecters site (they said its on there in the FAQ), but when I tried to email them I got an error. So much for customer support.

However, I can help you with the controls. The two knobs closest to the strings are volume and go with the pickup they are closest to. The knob below the neck pickup's volume control is the treble control, and the knob below the bridge pickup's volume control is the bass control. Since the electronics are active, you can boost and cut both treble and bass, when you turn them you should feel a notch for the 0 position, the markers on the knob will be facing the bridge.

The three tones I've been using most often are these:

-Neck pickup off, Bridge pickup full, tone's at 0 for Jaco-ish sound that lets me play the harmonics for Portrait of Tracy.
    -Neck pickup full, Bridge pickup low or off, very slight bass boost and treble cut for what I guess would be described as puncy and warm that I use for heavier rock.
    -Neck pickup full, Bridge pickup low or off, moderate treble cut for slapping.

If I don't have a specific tone I'm going for I just turn the EQ to 0 and both pickups to max and it sounds fine for general purpose bass playing.

Hope that helps some, experiment with it and you should find some stuff that works for you, this bass can give quite a few different sounds.