1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Tone control pedal for an active bass?

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by MontzterMash, Oct 29, 2013.

1. MontzterMash

MontzterMash Supporting Member

Dec 6, 2010
    I've got an active bass, but would like a tone control in pedal form, with a nice simple knob and the same effect on the sound as the tone knob does on a passive bass.

Found a few hits around for tone control pedals that work for passive basses, but not really anything yet that may work on an active bass (except some cool looking pedals from SFX).

Any recommendations?

2. rob_thebassman

rob_thebassman

Jul 26, 2010
    Normanton, UK
    playing bass since 2005
  3. Easy, just wire it up like you would wire a tone pot on a passive bass, except you also wire in the input/output jacks.

4. lowfreq33

lowfreq33

Jan 27, 2010
    Nashville
    Endorsing Artist: Genz Benz Amplification
    That's a bass boost, the tone control on a passive bass is actually a treble roll-off. So at ten it's doing nothing, and as you turn it down it cuts highs.

5. newbold

newbold

Sep 21, 2008
    Toronto
    One of these would be fun.

Stellartone Tonestyler

Stellartone Logo
    ***The Micro Pedal II's input is not compatible with active pickups, active preamps, buffers, low-impedence signals, stomp box outputs, or connection in an amp's effects loop.***

Description
    The Micro Pedal II expands upon the unique Micro Pedal I concept, by adding a true bypass footswitch plus a new 3-way "tone depth" mini toggle switch.

Like its smaller brother, the Micro Pedal II is a passive, high-impedance, 100% analog tone module, using no batteries. Zero noise, clipping, limiting, compression or distortion is added to your instrument's output signal. Just turn up the bass, and plug it in! Additional pedals and effects may be connected to the Micro Pedal II's output.

Bassists may now select 1/3, 2/3 or full-strength EQ in all 15 ToneStyler contour steps. This new feature allows adjustment of the total amount of pickup resonance and treble cut off produced in each ToneStyler rotary switch position.

The Micro Pedal II will be available in your choice of Standard, Jazz and Bass voicing ranges, and in the traditional notched rotation switch type.

Measurements: 1 1/2"W x 2"H x 3 5/8"L

stellartone-bass-micro-pedal-ii.

6. MontzterMash

MontzterMash Supporting Member

Dec 6, 2010
    Regarding the Stellartone, it says it's not compatible with an active pickup -- so I'm guessing this is one of those pedals that would only work with a passive bass?

Looking at the frequency response graphs for the Big Muff tone control (http://www.beavisaudio.com/techpages/BigMuffToneControl/) that doesn't look like the graphs I've seen for the tone control knobs on a bass, which is basically a low pass filter that rolls the treble down. Is it the the same or different?

7. rob_thebassman

rob_thebassman

Jul 26, 2010
    Normanton, UK
    playing bass since 2005
    it cuts the treble out and boosts only the low end.. other than it boosting bass its almost similar really

8. pertyman

pertyman

Jun 10, 2006
  9. Would it be possible to do something like this, but with a rocker pedal instead? Like a wah or volume pedal, except for lowpassing? Tips?

10. No?

11. 4StringsEnough

4StringsEnough

Mar 9, 2008
    Check out the EWS BMC. Tiny and awesome.

12. Wolffgang, I think you could do that with a wah or volume pedal. It looks like the pedal part you step on is turning a potentiometer that is tipped on its side. So you could replace that pot with a tone pot wired to the input and output jacks and it should work. I've thought about doing this myself.