1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Tone control pots/caps.

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by kesh, Jul 26, 2012.

1. kesh

kesh

Jul 9, 2012
    Brighton, England
    I'm refitting a P-J bass and have found the recommended pot cap combination, a 250k linear and a .047 cap, only makes a difference on the last half of the pot's traverse, maybe even the last third.

How should I change these components to make the full range useful? Obviously changing the cap would be preferable to changing the pot.

2. Rip Topaz

Rip Topaz

Aug 12, 2005
    Willow Street, PA
    Beta tester for Positive Grid
    Unfortunately, you'll have to change the pot (I think). Hopefully an expert will come along to confirm, but it sounds like you're using the wrong taper pot. I'm gonna wait for a more experienced person, but I think what you want is an audio taper pot.

3. Stealth

Stealth

Feb 5, 2008
    Zagreb, Croatia
    Linear pots are usually better for volume, audio pots are usually better for tone or for distorted volume (mostly on guitars). There's a way to turn a linear pot into an audio pot, but sadly, no way to do the reverse, so you'll need to get a new, audio pot. You can keep the value as it is (250k).

4. kesh

kesh

Jul 9, 2012
    Brighton, England
    but that's what I want!

5. Stealth

Stealth

Feb 5, 2008
    Zagreb, Croatia
    Oh, whoops, I misread. Here's an article that explains how to do it. Do a little bit of maths (it's all explained on the page) and see what additional resistor you need to stick in to make it work.

6. kesh

kesh

Jul 9, 2012
    Brighton, England
    well, not quite what they're saying, but i was thinking i could wire a 250k fixed resistor across it, because the tone pot only uses two terminals, and then get a range of 0 to 125k, which is the region where it seems to work