1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

tone control problems!!!!!

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by jokerjoe23, Apr 23, 2006.

1. jokerjoe23

jokerjoe23

Apr 18, 2006
    Gamehenge
    I have a gsr200 (don't make fun of plz) and for some reason the tone control knob isn't working. When i first got it, it worked. Then it stopped and i took it to guitartrader. They didn't even touch it and it was working again. I took it home and it worked for a day and stopped.

Anyone have any ideas?

2. steve21

steve21 Banned

Bad solder.

3. the shielding inside the controls cavity is worn out.

get them to replace it. it happened to me once. I totally re-wired my bass and lo and behold, it was my shielding.

that, and try re-soldering.

4. ddnidd1

ddnidd1 Supporting Member

The problem described shouldn't have anything to do with shielding.

5. Beav

Beav Graphics Whore

Jul 17, 2003
    Middle Tennessee
    Designer: Beav's Graphics
    +1

That's just an expensive way to not fix the problem.

6. anonymous278347457

anonymous278347457 Guest

Feb 12, 2005
    My tone pot basically has 2 modes, treble cut and no treble cut.

I got it from a guitar shop because it has a DPDT push pull switch in it. its also 500k and the original was 250k

Im guessing the pots gone bad?
    either that or the wiring

7. I guess it's because your pot is linear and audio pots are logarithmic.

In other words. in a logarithmic pot the internal resistance rise in a logaritmic scale (think curve) and to the ear it seems like the volume is augmenting gradualy.

with a linear pot the resistance rises in a linera fashion (think line :smug: ) and to the ear it seems like ther's a
    jump un volume suddenly and no play.

For the original post, i would redo the solders and if that don't work change the pot. it'll cost like 1$ or less.

8. Son of Magni

Son of Magni

May 10, 2005
    NH
    Builder: ThorBass
    Unless the bass is so cheap that the shielding is the only way gnd gets to the pot...