1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Tone control 'static' from '98 Jazz

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by relsner, Mar 17, 2010.

1. relsner

relsner

Feb 16, 2010
    First let me say I am a realtive newbie.

I have a '98 MIM Fender Jazz, three controls which I presume to be two pickup volumes and a tone. I am finding that as I turn up (towards more treble I believe) the tone control knob I get a constant hiss sound that gets stronger the more the knob is turned. Now this is not the RBH410, the GK 800rb, or the instrument cable as I have plugged several other basses into the setup and only the Jazz seems to do this. It is not that the pot is scratchy and only makes this noise when it is being turned, rather this is constant. Turning the tone control knob back below 50% significantly reduces the static hiss. Now I certainly do not play with this tone setting that high I am just bothered by the somewhat limiting aspect of this static. I know I can turn it down completely and deal with tone via the amp EQ.

My question is whether this is normal behavior or indicative of a problem in the pot or other electronics. Thanks for your comments and recommendations in advance.

2. ewimsatt

ewimsatt

Jul 1, 2008
    Nashville, TN
    Pickup Maker, Luthier, and Repairman, Wimsatt Instruments
    It's a grounding issue. When you have grounding hum and roll back the tone knob, You send a lot of that noise to ground. I'd start with a continuity meter and see if any of the major pieces arent grounded.

3. relsner

relsner

Feb 16, 2010
    ewimsatt,

When you say major pieces, are you referring to parts inside the bass or other components (amp, cab, etc.)?

4. ewimsatt

ewimsatt

Jul 1, 2008
    Nashville, TN
    Pickup Maker, Luthier, and Repairman, Wimsatt Instruments
    I am talking about the internal bass components like the pots. An easy way to tell if it's the amp is to play another jazz bass through it.

5. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Dec 1, 2020