1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Tone Control

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by mini-flea, Dec 9, 2006.

1. HI all,
    On my Encore PK-40(p-bass copy) when the tone is off its sounds as you would expect but when i turn the tone knob its seems to come out of no where, there is no gradual add of tone, its just there, is this right?, also i think when i turn it up slapping and popping just sounds to twangy if you understand what i mean. Sure modifications probably most likely will need doing but could you guys help me with what they would be and how i could do it and would some new pickups help?

Thanks
    Greg:bassist:

2. Fretloos

Fretloos

Jul 11, 2006
    Haarlem
    The thing is, your tone pot doesn't add highs, it can only remove them. So when the pot is what you would call open, it lets the signal trough without modifying, but when you 'close' it, it removes the high tones.

And about the 'its just right there', this is probably due to the cheapness of your bass :p

I'd say you could better buy a new bass then upgrade all the parts, else you will have killer pups and preamp and stuff, but it plays like a piece of $%!

just y 2 cents :p

3. ok thanks for that, :D i am thinking of a new bass but i'm in the easter 100 club and bein 15 i dont want to spend much money if Ben did win the money. So for the time being have you got any suggestions.

Thanks
    Greg