1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Tone Control

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Crow, Jul 27, 2007.

1. Crow

Crow

Oct 28, 2006
    Cleveland, Ohio
    Is there a simple way to increase the tonal change of a tone control on a bass to add more bass/treble on a passive bass?

2. Marcus Willett

Marcus Willett

Feb 8, 2005
    Palm Bay, FL
    Endorsing Artist: Bag End - Dean Markley - Thunderfunk
  3. Check what rating (250k etc) your tone pot is.

Check what rating (0.02uf etc) your tone cap is.

When I know these I can start to help Changing your cap, pots or both can help, but maybe not.

there are too many variables at this point :D

4. Crow

Crow

Oct 28, 2006
    Cleveland, Ohio
    500K tone pot, .022 cap, it's an Ibanez Artcore ASB140. Love the instrument, except for the tone, to me, there's virtually none, a rather bland bass.

5. lowphatbass

lowphatbass **** Supporting Member

Feb 25, 2005
    west coast
    IMHO, if you can't get close to the tone you're after you might have the wrong bass. Perhaps something with a similar string spacing and LOOK(if that's important, a very logical and legit concern for many!)may be more up your alley. Between your eq settings on the bass and amp you should be able to find happiness, I think you should be able to get darn close to what you want playing through most any decent amp with the tone settings set flat on the amp. The only other variable is your hands. I'd recommend searching recordings for the tone you're after and try the basses that are used to record with. If you get alot closer than ditch the Ibanez and go with something else, otherwise your mods may just turn into "turd polishing".
    To me Ibanez basses are for the most part, easy to play, good value(decent build and price for the $$), but aside from a few exceptions, don't have a ton of character. You stated that it sounds "bland" to your ears, I tend to think that the tone of a bass is a factor of the build and the pick-ups, the electronics just add or subtract to this equation for the most part. If you don't like hotdogs theres only so much you can do to one to make it taste good, in the end it's still a hotdog! Test the waters before you go modifying your bass, that's my advise here.
    Good Luck!!

6. savit260

savit260

Mar 6, 2006
    Boston

Exelent advice in that post.

Also, what basses have you played that sounded good, great or not bland to your ear.
    This will help establish a point of reference to help you get the tone you want.

Some fairly simple mods may help, but you might be totaly barking up the wrong tree if you want to make it sound like a Sting Ray or something.