Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Tone controls, would I hear the difference?

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by Mel Monihan, Mar 28, 2005.

1. Mel Monihan

Mel Monihan

Mar 30, 2004
    I was told to use a .05 micro farad capacitor on the tone control for my bass by Seymour Duncan techs.The local "Radio Shack" only had .047 capacitors.I know very little about this, and I was wondering if there was a great deal of difference between the two, at least enough that I could hear the difference.Thanks.

2. bigbeefdog

bigbeefdog Who let the dogs in?

Jul 7, 2003
    Mandeville, LA
    No. They're virtually identical; you'd never hear a difference.

3. luknfur

luknfur

Jan 14, 2004
    DIXIE
    FWIW:

Personally, since they're cheap I'd pick up about a .01 and .09 as well to get a range and try them all. .05 is pretty standard for bass but you will definetly notice the difference in the 3 values and it will give a ballpark for something most to your liking.

You can use different values on different pots, in fact make them interactive so you can blend the values. You could run different caps off a switch and select the one you want. Lot's of tone options available with caps.

To my knowledge, caps are the cheapest way to make a major difference in tone. I've gotten a lot more tone variation from a $2 cap than any preamp I've ever had - and I've had over a dozen preamps.

4. Mel Monihan

Mel Monihan

Mar 30, 2004
    Thank you,Luknfur, that sounds like a good idea. I had Duncan make an unbelievably hot replacement pickup for my Sting bass (29.4K), actually the same one that's in Stings bass.I believe that there will probably be some experimentation in the tone control to get the most range from a pickup like that. Thanks again