1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Tone difference w/ Rounds vs. Flats

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by MistaMarko, Mar 6, 2008.

1. MistaMarko

MistaMarko Supporting Member

Feb 3, 2006
    USA
    ?

2. ihixulu

ihixulu Supporting Member

Mar 31, 2000
    South Shore MA
    search

3. round wounds=sexy they have less bright high end that round wounds do no finger noise from slides etc and for me are just awesome for the tone i was/am looking for.

4. Phalex

Phalex Semper Gumby Supporting Member

Oct 3, 2006
    G.R. MI

Dude, step away from the pipe........

5. Dee_01

Dee_01

May 19, 2007
    Flats sound like rounds that have been left on for about 40 years.

6. dave64o

dave64o Talkbass Top 10 all time lowest talent/gear ratio! Gold Supporting Member

Jun 15, 2000
    Southern NJ

Maybe some do, but I have a set of D'Addario Chromes on one bass and I think they're pretty bright sounding for a flatwound string. In fact, there's a good chance when those strings are 40 years old they'll sound brighter than the typical 40 year old roundwound! :D

FYI, I'm not knocking rounds. In fact, I prefer them, especially once they've been broken in! I'm just saying that a flatwound string doesn't necessarily imply a completely dead and lifeless tone like it might have years ago. I happen to like the Chromes, though, and I just took my new-to-me MIA fretless Jazz to a luthier last night to have it set up and spruced up, and that includes putting a set of Chromes on that bass too.

7. That is not true at all, It really depends on the brand od string and the gauge.

I would say that flat wound have a rounder attack, and a bassier sound, in a band setting they tend to cut less but give a more supportive sound.

Rounds, have a lot more attack and singing highs, they can be bassy depending on the brand and gauge.

On a roundwound string you can roll of the treble and have a round tone that does pretty much the same job as a flatwound, this is especially true in a band setting.

However, if the tone you are looking for is nice mellow and woody your really better off starting with flatwounds it'll be a lot easier to get a pleasing tone.

8. stflbn

stflbn

May 10, 2007
    Nashville
    To me:

Rounds = Punchier and more presence and of course fingernoise.
    Flats = Thumpier with no fingernoise.

Hard to make one do the other's job really well, but do-able.

9. When I play rounds, I hear "CHANG!"
    When I play flats, I hear "Dumm"