Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Tone experts --->

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by Bardolph, Nov 13, 2003.

1. JPJ

JPJ

Apr 21, 2001
    Chicago, IL
    Fortunately and unfortunately.....I think a number of pickup brands and models could get you close to that type of tone. The good part is that you have many choices. The bad part is that, if you're looking for someone to direct you to one model from one manufacturer, that probably won't happen. The amp, method or recording, and EQ could potentially have had a big impact on the sample you provided, so focusing on pickups might not deliver the end result you're looking for.

However, a set of Barts with the tone control cranked and a lot of top end could get you that tone. Any number of "modern" pickups could produce that tone (single coils and/or humbuckers), or a vintage wound pickup recorded direct in conjunction with a preamp (like a Bart or Aguilar) might also do the trick.

2. Bardolph

Bardolph

Jul 28, 2002
    Grand Rapids, MI
    Do you think dimarzio ultra jazzes could sound nice and crisp like that? Perhaps through a j retro?

3. marc40a

marc40a

Mar 20, 2002
    Boston MA
    I'd say a pair of modern humbucking J's w/ an active circuit.

I don't think that single coil J's could nail that tone even w/ an active EQ.

4. marc40a

marc40a

Mar 20, 2002
    Boston MA
    Hmmm....

There has to be more to it than just 'plug in and record.'

Sounds like some quality outboard enhancement (compression, EQ.)

5. marc40a

marc40a

Mar 20, 2002
    Boston MA
    I had thought that the original clip was a 5 string because of the low Eb's in the recording.

The low part is what made me think 'humbucker.' The high fill at the end of the clip has the single coil vibe but the low end had me convinced they were humbuckers.

The clip of the retro sounds more like my experience w/ activating single coils. I think they work better in passive systems.

6. Steve

Steve

Aug 10, 2001
    To me, that sounds hugely processed. If someone told me that was the natural sound any pickup, I would have to see it to believe it.