Tone for progressive metal

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by bsumgeo2, Feb 8, 2020.

1. bsumgeo2

bsumgeo2

Feb 8, 2020
    Hi there - guitar and bass player here. I mostly play rnb/funk on bass but I'm playing modern prog metal/djent (plini, intervals) on bass for a gig next - i play lots of prog metal on guitar. Heard good things about the Darkglass B7K so I'm thinking of getting a used one and copping some settings from Youtube. For the gig (indoors) I'll likely be DI-ed live into the mixer.

I have an Ibanez 5 string SR, and pedals such as the Wampler Ego and Strymon Timeline/Mobius on my guitar board if those can help. Using fingers for half the songs and pick for the other half.

Any advice? Thanks

2. I would go with the X7 over the B7K, simply because the distortion is a lot better, both low gain and high, and the whole sound is just a lot more cohesive due to the compressed lows and distorted highs

3. I guess depends on what tuning? If just standard Beadg you could be alright,... most bands of that genre I can think of the bass just supports with “oomph” and its usually the guitars that get the djent tone- but yeah the sound that comes to mind is that cross over low and mid clean “boom” with ultra distorted highs.

4. bsumgeo2

bsumgeo2

Feb 8, 2020
    We're doing BEADG half step down, yes. Thanks for the replies.

theunknowndude likes this.