Tone freaks... suggestions on new bass!

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Wattoosi, Apr 21, 2004.

1. I'm at the point in my playing where getting "that right sound" is becoming important. I've not been too thrilled with the "paino" sound my Yamaha kicks out, no matter what I do with efx or amp models or strings, it's the instrument. I played a Fender MIM zone bass and may get to try out the MIA version *nice* but wondered what else may be out there??

Here's what I am thinking, aside from looking for a fast neck 4 string with active electronics, I am looking for a certain sound, like phat with some growl, good sustain, solid attack, and with a mix of what I call classic J-bass tone. I think I may have found it in the Zone, but wondered what other choices there may be?? Trouble is, the local music store is limited and I am going to have to drive to a major metro area to try a variety.
  2. Adam Barkley

Adam Barkley Mayday!

Aug 26, 2003
    Jackson, MS
    Corvette Standard or Pro
    Stringray or Sterling

All but the Vette have active electronics standard, though I think you can get active for a fee.
  3. Rock&Roll

Jul 21, 2002
    My simple suggestions from well known manufactures............

Fender Jazz Bass - These are great basses. I thought the american jazz felt a little more refined. Neck on the MIM seemed more sharp and less comfortable, but not by much. I think the difference is just minor details. I'd suggest that unless you get a Geddy Lee signature, go invest in some different pickups for these new fenders. For pickups I would look into 1962 Custom Shop Jazz Bass reissues, Duncan Antiquities, or Lindy Frailin. I went with Custom Shops, and noted major tonal character improvment.

Rickenbacker 4001 - I just got one. Pound-for-pound blows my Jazz bass out of the watter on tone. The neck is a little wider and substantially deeper than the Jazz Bass. I'd say the contour of the 4001 neck has to be the most comfortable I have come across.
  4. Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    Fender jazz or Warwick corvette..yup.
  5. JPJ

Apr 21, 2001
    Chicago, IL
    There are MANY excellent choices that fit most, if not all, of your criteria. I'd recommend updating your post with a price range or upper limit to give TBers a better indication of what you might be looking for.
  6. snailplow

snailplow Leon Phelps Wanna Be

Check out my signature. :D

7. Alexander

Aug 13, 2001
    Seattle, WA
    G&L Tribute 2000 Premium - All of what you are looking for...
  8. Adam Barkley

Adam Barkley Mayday!

Aug 26, 2003
    Jackson, MS
    Not sure if that complies with forum rules.
  9. okay, price, if I can get away with $600-800 that would be cool, but if upgrading is "worth it" like I plan to keep this, then I would go into the $1200-$1400 range. My amp was $1,500+... so I know you sometimes have to fork out the $$
  10. snailplow

snailplow Leon Phelps Wanna Be

If that's true,then there's a TON of talkbassers breaking the rules.
  11. The Washburn XB9xx's are sweet, and can be found for insanely cheap.
  12. tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    I've got all the tone machine I need in my hot rodded MIM Precision. Pickups make all the difference, and I slapped some Labella Deep Talkin' Bass's on here and it rings, thumps, and sounds like a fretless all in one.
  13. You may want to check out the Fender Deluxe Active Jazz Bass (MIM) and the MIA version. Also look at G & L basses.