Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Tone Freaks! unite! wait.....o whatever , and HELP!

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by PollyBass, Aug 6, 2001.

1. Tone Freakin Crazy.

32 vote(s)
    47.1%
  2. Avid tone watcher.

17 vote(s)
    25.0%
  3. Just keep it simple man.

17 vote(s)
    25.0%
  4. uh.......tone? what is this .....tone?

2 vote(s)
    2.9%
  1. PollyBass

PollyBass ******

Jun 25, 2001
    Shreveport, LA
    So, lets see how many people LOVE to screw around with there tone. im still trying to find my perfect tone. But ive heard of people with the "Plug-N-Go" method. meaning dont screw with you tone to much. keep it simple. im sorry i just cant do that! THERES TO MANY LEVERS!!!AND KNOBS!!!! YOU CANT JUST LEAVE THEM ALONE!............ok. also, i know i cant get a Tool type tone on my p-bass, but what settings would i set my 7-band graphic to? i know he (justin) TONS of midrange, but i cant seem to get enough. and i heard that cranking your EQ can hurt your amp. is this true? or is it just if you crank ALL of them? ok, thats it.

2. PollyBass

PollyBass ******

Jun 25, 2001
    Shreveport, LA
    I thought this was setup, not Miscellaneous . sorry. the modarater might want to send it to setup. whatever.

3. rickbass

rickbass Supporting Member

So am I after about 30 years.

IMO, you never find "it". You just find one that satisfies you temporarily. Then some new music and new technology comes along and your current tone is no longer good enough.

On the EQ thing, I don't think it does any harm as long as you have a decent amp with compatible components. At least, it never damaged any of mine and I've done about everything possible I could with mine at terrifying volume settings.

On the "I want to sound like Chancellor" thing, just experiment and get as close as you can. He uses lots of components/boxes between his Wal basses and his amps. And at his level, there are plenty of techs all to willing to hot mod your gear.

4. I found that a sock used as a string mute gives my P the exact sound I want. Punchy, bassy, great, even with a pick!

5. Lord Bishop

Lord Bishop Guest

Jul 16, 2001
    Brooklyn N.Y.
    Well you can try boosting the Mids and use the the rest of the slides to cut the lower and high frequencies back.:cool:

6. SuperDuck

SuperDuck

Sep 26, 2000
    Wisconsin
    My name is Mike, and i'm a tone freak. As soon as I get some money together, I'm gonna grab me that Raven Labs True Blue eq... five bands of semi-parametric glory... oh yeah...

I just got my first active bass, and have been having fun playing with that eq, too. And my amp has fully parametric mids... I don't use a lot of effects, but I just can't stop playing with my eq.

7. PollyBass

PollyBass ******

Jun 25, 2001
    Shreveport, LA
    Yeah, im useing the "frown" setting on it right know. i dont want to sound "just like" Justin from tool. i guess im saying that i want a midrange punch that doesnt sound like im in a punk band. But i found a setting i like very much last night. I hope this one sounds good for a while. for some reason your right, my tone hasnt stayed the same for 5 days strait. i think i have obbsesive compuslive desorder.

8. Ok these deals with pickup selection, for the record im using a Warwick Thumb-Bolt on. I went in to a repair shop to have my bass adjusted mostly because ive stated string it EADGC, so i was wondering if it was neccessary to adjust the brige becasue the diffrentce in strings. Ok well back to the subject. Some how while the repair guy was making adjustments to my bridge, pickup selction came up. He asked me if i use the knobe to change pickups. Well i always kept in the middle both bridge and neck pickup. Well what he said kept on floaint around in my head. So when i got home i decided to fool around with it. All around i prefered more of the neck pickup. To much of the bridge made the bass sound too bright. I dont use the the full neck pickup just more of the neck. My musical taste is jazz, acustic style rock/crap loads of other styles. Just wondering what you guys tend to use more of. Preferable opions in guys who like the same stuff jazz etc... It aslo had a good slap sound. The only draw back was it lost a bit of "life" to the pickup if used more of the neck. Harmonics seem to work better with the bridge.
    Joe

9. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member

Well I'm very interested in tone and I am very picky about tone. But for me the tone is in the bass itself and not in any amplification. I always use my setup to get as clean a sound as possible and almost always set every control flat.

From many years of experience of trying and playing loads of gear, I have found that if the tone you want isn't present in the acoustic nature of the bass itself, then no amount of "tweaking" will get that tone and you will never be happy with the tone.

I also believe that the way you play has a big impact on the tone and I know that when I was young and inexperienced, that I couldn't get the sort of tone I wanted, but over the years I have learnt to vary tone by the way I play.

So I do consider myself a tone "freak", but that involves getting the right bass - right woods, construction etc. - and then being able to play with the right "touch" to get the tone you want. Knobs and EQ have nothing to do with this in my experience.

10. Suburban

Suburban

Jan 15, 2001
    lower mid Sweden
    YMMV.
    IME, any good bass can sound lousy, if you mixter too much with the controls. The reverse does NOT apply, which I believe is the bottom line of Bruces statement.
    However, using the electronics adds sounds to the bass-amp-rig set, that are not available acoustically. With a dual humbucker with single/parallell/series, in/out of phase and a 3-band, midsweep pre-amp, anything can happen. Probably you'll get lost. But, you may find your sound, or the sound of this song, or similar. Then your problem will only be to find it again, next time that song is on the play-list...

Me? I'm just avid.:D

11. Rockinjc

Rockinjc

Dec 17, 1999
    Michigan
    good amp
    good cab
    good bass
    great fingers
    =
    tone

12. I can never stop fooling aroudn with the equipment i have. I just got a hartke head with a 12 band eq and I change the setting daily. I think tonight I finally got the sound I wanted though, so it will stay for now. I like playing around with stomp boxes too. I have a boss bass distortion pedal I rarely use other than playing alone in my room, but I love screwing around with it.

and yeah...the way you play definitely affects tone. there is no bass I have ever touched that isn't bright when I am playing it. I just happen to strike the strings pretty hard.

my mexican standard precision sounds better to me, and a ton of other people, than a lot of more modern, costly basses have. it definitely beats the pants off of any ibanez bass (in my opinion) and a lot of people love those basses.

anyway, my point is, messing around with stuff is fun.

13. masaru

masaru

Aug 8, 2001
    Okinawa, Japan
    I try to keep it simple and I also agree with rockinjc.
    Bass, mid & treble set on 8-2-8. I know I'm gonna get some heat for this but I can't stand graphic eqs!
    Knobs rule!!!

14. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member

Not picking on you particularly - but this seems typical of a lot of posts around here and in the "Effects" forum - where people like "messin about" in their bedrooms and getting all sorts of weird sounds. Well - I would suggest looking at the question from nate in the thread "help me with my sound" close to this one.

It's all very well messing about - but if you ever get in a band, then they will expect a good basic bass tone that fulfils their expectations. Most cheap pedals will suck the bass out of your tone and will probably leave a huge whole in the band sound which will be very noticable to band members and the audience.

If you get in the position that nate mentions where people are talking about a "thin" sound and you can't get the sort of bassy tone that people (stangely enough!) expect from a bass player, then you are probably going to be out of the band!!

Far better to concentrate on practising, learning about what skills you will need in a band and stick with one good basic tone - unless you want to spend your whole life messing about with pedals or EQ at home and not playing in a band!!! :rolleyes:

15. Paul A

Paul A

Dec 13, 1999
    Hertfordshire U.K!
    Heres the Deal,
    Last night I was Invited to a kind of "Jam" session with a local band.Their regular bass player plays in 2 bands and wasn't available.
    After a few minutes all I could hear was myself,looking around everyone was staring at me!
    The comments I got were:
    "We haven't heard that sound in years"
    "Wan't some gigs?"
    Etc etc.......
    The setup was:
    U.S. standard P Bass,Selmer 100 Valve Head,Vox 4x12 and 1x15 cabs.
    Their regular guy uses Trace Elliot stuff.
    I'm not knocking Trace stuff,but,it clearly wasn't the sound they are after.
    So I guess it's all subjective really,how it fits in with the other band members.
    In a different band with different styles my stuff would probably suck.

16. definitely. I actually have this down pretty well. live and at practices I basically avoid all effects unless a song or songs abolutely calls for something extra. my effects pedals are just something for me to mess around with in my bedroom. especially since that boss bass overdrive cuts all mids from from my sound when I kick it on...and we all know how absolutely essential the mids are...

17. My philosophy: set the controls how you like them, AND LEAVE IT ALONE.

I even went so far as to take a polaroid of my amp settings.. got rid of it as soon as I got a new bass, though.

18. Must eliminate mids. Mids are bad. No I don't want to be like Fieldy. Thank you.

19. Exactly. Sliders piss me off bigtime. That's just me though. I'd rather deal w/ numbers, not kHz, thank you.