1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

tone from a distance

Discussion in 'Live Sound [BG]' started by harpguy74, Feb 25, 2016.

Tags:
  1. harpguy74

harpguy74

Oct 2, 2011
    quebec canada
    not sure this is in the right place but here is my question . I am currently playing a Ibanez roadstar ii with labella 47-109 and egr gzr-p pichup through a gallian krugar mb112. I can pretty much get a nice clear tone out of it that I really like but as sood as I walk say 15 feet away I loose all definition and it sounds too bassy or muddy. I have spent hours playing around with eq but with no real luck. is this just something that happens? I want that tone I sit next to the amp or even have good headphones on

2. RoadRanger

RoadRanger Supporting Member

Feb 18, 2004
    NE CT
    Turn the bass knob down.

3. JohnMCA72

JohnMCA72

Feb 4, 2009
    What RoadRanger says. It goes against (y)our intuition, but less bass will usually give you more bass! The lower-freq. sounds tend to bounce around a lot in all directions & don't die off as quickly as the higher ones.

4. WayneP

WayneP Supporting Member

Oct 11, 2004
    Corpus Christi, Texas

Not an uncommon dilemma. I remember an experiment I did many years ago with a long connection cable (back in the days before wireless rigs). When I got things sounding great where I was standing on stage near the amp, when I walked out to the audience it sounded like crap. When I tweaked things to where it sounded great in the audience, it sounded like crap to me on stage.

Regards,
    Wayne A. Pflughaupt

Administrator, Pedulla Club #45
    Administrator, Tobias Club #133
    Fretless Club #943
    Big Cabs Club #23
    My Rig: Stage and FOH Friendly
    My Basses

5. derrico1

derrico1 Supporting Member

Apr 12, 2005
    Charlottesville, VA
    In small venues, I've more often experienced the reverse: on some tight-stage gigs, the meat of the low end seems most intense near the cab and falls off at a distance. Because this effect has been most pronounced when the cab is near a 3-boundary corner (floor/wall/wall), I've assumed that it's caused by boundary reinforcement of the low end that isn't throwing into the room as efficiently as the cabs do.

Can't vouch for the physics behind that hunch, though; and I haven't done any controlled experimenting to test. Curious about experience the rest of you might have had along those lines.

6. LiquidMidnight

LiquidMidnight

Dec 25, 2000
    This has been my experience as well. I've learned two things in my experience from playing bass and mixing (sometimes with small PAs):

1). Most bass amps require a boost on the low-end; set flat on the bass knob or slider, most bass amps are a little thin in the lows (ironically enough) once you walk away from them any distance. That doesn't mean that the bass guitar should be scooped with nothing but hyped lows or that it requires a ton of <40hz sub-bass. But I find that the vast majority of bass amps need a low (and sometimes low-mid) twist to the right or bump up on the slider in real world (i.e., live venue) situations.

2). In situations where the bass isn't in the FOH, if the bass rig is slightly obnoxious on stage, then it's probably fairly balanced in the room. This is opposed to, say, the guitar, in which if it's obnoxious on stage, it's probably obnoxious in the room.

Last edited: Feb 27, 2016