Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Tone from Etimoe?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Frank Martin, Jul 11, 2004.

1. Frank Martin

Frank Martin Bitten by the luthiery bug...

Oct 8, 2001
    Budapest, Hungary, EU
    Hi!

I'm curious about this wood called Etimoe, and about the tone from it. I think some can guess whose basses I'm thinking about, as there are no other luthiers - that I know about, at least - using it ;) That is why I know almost nothing about it, and I have not seen any site where they speak about it (Rampart, Ken Smith and Wal site has nothing about it), so, JD owners, (I know there are! RAM posted a review and By-Tor also has one, but I dont know whether anyone else has one) could you define the tone for me or at least say some words about it?
    No need to hurry, I'm just GASsing for it and planning...
    Thanks for the info! :)

2. 6-3-2

6-3-2

Sep 20, 2003
    Right Jerzy Drozd basses. I remember the US distributer Luthiers Access Group talking about it. I believe the etimoe is similiar to maple in tone, at least that's what i think they said.

3. Frank Martin

Oct 8, 2001
    Budapest, Hungary, EU
    Maple? Hmmm... thats interesting...
    Than a bubinga top will go well with it. :)
    Yes, I'm a growl-addict. The neck will be wenge-bubinga! :D in a couple of years, at least... I bought my Corvette last year, which was a lot of money for me, and now I'm upgrading my rig, so wont have money for it for at least a year or two :( but then ;) :D

So, "similar to maple" so far. RAM, By-Tor, would you comment on that please?

4. Dan Lenard

Dan Lenard Banned

Mar 8, 2002
    Jerzy used to use Walnut as his standard body wood, and
    switched to Etimoe around 2 years ago.

He says that while he likes Walnut very much, he feels that
    Etimoe provides a more balanced tone across the frequency spectrum. Very articulate but not twangy or dark.

NOT really like Maple.

Of course, he can and will use other body woods when a custom order requires them.

Dan Lenard
    LuthiersAccessGroup

5. 6-3-2

6-3-2

Sep 20, 2003
    My mistake.

6. Frank Martin

Oct 8, 2001
    Budapest, Hungary, EU
    Uhhum... Thanks! :)
    And as I've seen, you've seen quite a few of them - at least there's a big gallery of JD basses on your site :cool:
    So, balanced and articulate? Could you please give me some more specific details like how is the clarity at the lower notes, whether it has punch and what are the highs like?
    Thanks again!

7. RAM

RAM

May 10, 2000
    Chicago, IL
    My Jerzy has a walnut body, not etimoe (and a wenge/bubinga neck with an ebony fingerboard). It also has an oil finish instead of poly.

It's a very organic sounding bass, a fair amount of compression, but also good warmth. The harmonics are incredibly rich and detailed. It's not a very bright bass and has very strong low-mids.

The etimoe Jerzys I've played (probably about a half-dozen) usually had maple tops which helps to accentuate the highs a little more. Like Dan said, etimoe is a very balanced sounding wood. I seem to recall a bump in the low-mids but can't be sure.

All Jerzy Drozd basses I've played (about 13 or 14), ranging from the Basic to the Prodigy Limited Edition, 4-strings to 7, bolt-ons, neck-throughs, 34" scales, 35" scales, different pickup configurations, etc, have all been extremely consistently well built and detailed. I'd recommend 'em in a heartbeat.:D

8. Frank Martin

Oct 8, 2001
    Budapest, Hungary, EU
    Thanks!
    I knew your bass was walnut, I read the review a couple of times, but I was hoping you tried some of them and could give me some more info - which, luckily, was the case here :cool:
    I'm already set towards a JD, but I can only get so much money together by next year or the year after that... :( the uni grants are quite low... and other incomes are sparse... GAS is worse than ever now - but for a good reason ;)