1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Tone ??? GBE vs Shuttlemax

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by RHA III, Aug 26, 2012.

1. RHA III

RHA III Supporting Member

Jul 22, 2012
    OR
    I know the shuttle series are light and more affordable, but do you sacrifice tone?

I live in the country and have no way to A/B compare. Also is there a big difference between the 12.0 and the 12.2 tone wise?

For those of you who've tried both... if size, weight and money didn't matter, would you rather have a GBE series? Or are there other factors that make the shuttle more flexible?

Thanks in advance.;)

2. I've not tried the Shuttle-max amps, but I've got two all tube amps & a GB Shuttle 6.0 & it really is an impressive amp, even if it was 4x it's size.
    So, no, I don't think you're sacrificing tone at all with the tiny Shuttles

3. JehuJava

JehuJava Bass Frequency Technician

Oct 15, 2002
    Oakland, CA
    I used to have the GBE 1200 and now use the shuttle max 12.0. I think they are very close in tone, but I'm using a different cab too. I preferred the 1200 watts of power into an Aggie GS412, but I'm not playing loud rock shows anymore. I don't like how the 12.0 has two amps, one for each cab. Why not just have one amp?

So in a nut shell, I think they're very close. I like how light the 12.0 is big time.

4. dukeorock

dukeorock Owner BNA Audio Supporting Member Commercial User

Mar 8, 2011
    Nashville, TN
    Authorized greenboy designs builder/Owner of BNA Audio
    I have tried the 12.2 (I own a 12.0)...this difference to me was very subtle at best...the ShuttleMax 9.2 on the other hand...a/b one of those against my 12.0 and much preferred the 9.2...deeper lows for sure, and I like the power structure of the 9.2 better these days :)

5. RHA III

RHA III Supporting Member

Jul 22, 2012
    OR
    Thanks for the replies, interesting on the 9.2... anyone else had the chance to try these amps side by side?