1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Tone Hammer 350 in the studio. Now which cab for a 5-string FAT booty?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by JazzSession, Aug 27, 2012.

1. JazzSession

JazzSession

Dec 27, 2005
    Greetings, fellow bass players!

I'm in the process of equipping a modest home studio, so I'm looking for great tone at a moderate volume (I live in a house, so I often play/jam somewhat lout).

That being said, I bought a Tone Hammer 350 and I just love the tone I get out of this little thing. Now I'm looking for a cabinet (4Ohm) that can give some MASSIVE, teeth-rattling dub-like bottom that can also take a thunderous fuzzed out Low-B.

Genre-wise, recordings will consist mostly of Rock deviations, but there will be a lot of Dub and Funk thumping out of that cabinet as well.

I'm close to pulling the trigger on a Mesa/Boogie Powerhouse 1x15 (4Ohm), but I haven't tried it yet and I can't find any info about its frequency range.

What do you guys think about this?

P.S. - I promise I'll post pics as soon as I pair the monster cab with the tiny - but mean - amp.

2. The Mesa is a good cab, it has a good rock voicing. This may be more mid range heavy than you want if you plan on playing Dub. Either way I would recommend you start with an 8 Ohm cab, so you can add a second one down the road.

3. craig.p

craig.p

Sep 28, 2008
    New Hampshire
    Every time I hear a need for extreme low end, I always think of The Acme Low B-4 first.

(That link may or may not work, depending on your browser and whether you permit scripting. That web site plays stupid scripting games. Just look for the B-4 on the web site if the link doesn't take you there directly.)

4. KJung

KJung Supporting Member

The Acme cabs take a LOT of power to get to even moderate volumes. Even at 4ohms, the TH350 wouldn't even push a B-1 to full performance, much less a B-4.

Most cabs, at moderate volumes in small rooms do very well with a full sounding low end and a B string. I would suggest one of the Aguilar DB112's. Nice low end response, nice 'rock' voicing (i.e., they sound good with the tweeter turned down... you can even get one without a tweeter), and a GREAT match (even at 8ohms) with the little Aguilar head. Round and fat sounding, and adding a second one would result in a pretty good gigging rig for moderate sized gigs.

5. JazzSession

JazzSession

Dec 27, 2005
    Thanks so much everyone for the helpful suggestions!

That DB112 has been under my radar for way too long. Damn, it's sexy!

I know that frequency response is just a number and that we don't hear numbers when playing. But if the fundamental frequency of a Low-B is around 31Hz, logic tells me to get a cab that goes that low too.

Aguilar's DB115 goes as low as 32Hz, the new SL112 starts at 37Hz and the DB112 goes as low as 42Hz.

Would those stats translate into sound, a SL112 have an even bigger booty than a DB112 - which sounds pretty round and fat. Can anyone confirm that?

Regarding the expandability aspect, I do not intend on gigging with this rig, so a 4Ohm cab is actually ideal.

:help:

Regards from Portugal!

6. craig.p

craig.p

Sep 28, 2008
    New Hampshire
    On the efficiency point, sure, 96 dB isn't Kappalite-class efficiency, but it's no slouch, either. I believe a TH350 running a 4 ohm B-4 would rattle everything in the home. Let's keep this in perspective: it's a studio in a private home.

7. KJung

KJung Supporting Member

Not sure how familiar you are with these cabs, but that really isn't the case. Even a B-2 (or one of the new 112's) can bring a 500 watt amp to its knees (i.e., hitting the power amp limiting/distorting) at relatively low volume.

IMO and IME.

8. jeff7bass

jeff7bass

Apr 9, 2009
  9. You are spot on about the OP needing to find a set up that gives him the tone he wants for a home studio. Since max volume isnt an issue, I stand by my recommendation for an 8 Ohm cab. The day that rig is needed for "that sound" on stage, the need for a second cab will be there.

All that said, sensitivity is something that buyers need to be aware of. The average sensitivity specs that are more common on commercially available gear help put a lot of things into perspective. A TH350 into a 410 with a sensitivity rating of 100 dB/w/m will be as loud as a TH500 and a 410 with a 96 dB/w/m cab.

10. jeff7bass

jeff7bass

Apr 9, 2009
    I also want to state that a single 12” speaker is great for recording. A perfect size speaker (IMO) which combines solid lows with a natural (for bass) midrange…

Stick a mic in front of the speaker and run a balanced line out from them head, then mix them down in stereo. This gives you great tonal flexibility.

Forget a 4x10 or any multiple speaker cab for that matter.

:bassist:

11. seedokebass

seedokebass

Mar 21, 2009
    Minnesota
    I would suggest checking out Aguilar's DB 410. In my opinion, that thing has absurd low end. I run one with a Tone Hammer 500, and it gets thick.

I feel the Tone Hammer's were designed with 10" speakers in mind. I also run a DB412 that sounds awesome with the Tone Hammer, but man.... it sounds SO GOOD with tens. Also played it through a Mesa Vintage Powerhouse 4x10 that had smoking tone.

12. Jim Carr

Jim Carr Dr. Jim Gold Supporting Member

Jan 21, 2006
    Denton, TX or Kailua, HI
    fEARful Kool-Aid dispensing liberal academic card-carrying union member Musicians Local 72-147
    My Epifani NYC 210 8 ohm (aka t-210) has better low end than most 115s I have used. You can find them used for under $400. If you don't mind a heavy 210, it is terrific for mid-sized clubs and has good low mids and lows for dub/reggae. For efficiency, I think it is a good match for your 350 head.

13. Jim Carr

Jim Carr Dr. Jim Gold Supporting Member

Jan 21, 2006
    Denton, TX or Kailua, HI
    fEARful Kool-Aid dispensing liberal academic card-carrying union member Musicians Local 72-147
    You will need more power if you really mean this. :cool:

14. Were they?? Wow?? :eek: