Tone Hammer compatible with CX cabs?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Steve M222, Dec 30, 2020.

1. Steve M222

Steve M222

Nov 29, 2016
    Tone Hammer 500 manual states if I run (2) 8 ohm cabs it produces 500 watts. I have a CX115 300 watt, 8 ohm and a CX210 400 watt, 8 ohm. Is this doable if I don't push it to hard or is it not worth the risk?

2. Raf Seibert

Raf Seibert

Dec 16, 2013
    Texas
    You should be okay running those cabinets. Some will recommend you use two identical cabinets, but those two should be fine.

Gearhead17 and eriky4003 like this.
  3. MarkA

MarkA In the doghouse. Supporting Member

Sep 26, 2008
    Two 8 Ohm cabs, run in parallel (the default wiring scheme for most amps, cabs, cables), will net you a 4 Ohm minimum load (which matches the minimum load for the TH500). On that front, you're fine.

The amp will produce up to 500 Watts RMS with this setup, more-or-less equally divided between each 8 Ohm cab (250 Watts per cab) so, on this front, you're okay too.

The power handling is close enough between the two cabs that you don't have a glaring "weak link" though I suppose, going just by the numbers you posted, that, if you really pushed the cabs, the 115 would show the strain a little earlier than the 210. Still, you're well enough matched, power-wise, between the cabs and between the cabs and the amp that I think most people would consider this a pretty safe pairing. You could still hurt something if you really tried (boosted the bass way up and cranked the volume) and if you ignored signs of strain (distortion, turning up and not getting louder), but you can do that with most any setup.

I've played through each of these cabs briefly, but not together, so I can't comment from experience how they pair (or how they pair with the Tone Hammer), but I imagine that GK were thinking that people would try them together. If it were me, I'd try the stack with one cab on top, then the other. Most folks will put the 15 on the bottom by default, but you might surprise yourself and like it better on top. (The GK Neo 15 is leaner and more middy sounding than the 210 -- I seem to recall the CX following suit, but I'm not sure.)

TB wisdom also suggests putting the cab with lower power-handling on top so that you can hear it better if it starts to strain, but I think that you're close/safe enough here that I'd just go by whatever sounded better to me. With a little bit of attention and common sense, you should be fine.

Have fun!

4. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jun 20, 2021