Tone Hammer vs Bassbone OD

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by The Diaper Geni, Nov 19, 2015.

Tags:
  1. The Diaper Geni

The Diaper Geni Submissive. And loving it. Supporting Member

Nov 22, 2005
    Central Ohio
    I did a search and didn't come up with anything.

I'm looking, specifically, for a comparison between the Tone Hammer's "AGS" and the Radial Bassbone OD's "Overdrive".

Love my TH! BUT, I could use something with two inputs for doubling.

Any input is greatly appreciated! Thanks!

2. Sid the Kid

Sid the Kid Supporting Member

Jun 7, 2013
    Illinois
    I have been wanting a Bassbone OD since I started needing a DI. I've tried a Sansam (not my thing), a VTDeluxe (better but not great), a WTDI (great clean sound, weird clipping issue) and a Dr. J. Sparrow (smoother Sansamp).

I've been using the WTDI in front of the Sparrow and have ok results. Still sounds a little artificial to me. I'm also considering trying the Tone Hammer or even the Basswitch IQDI. Heck I've even been thinking about forgetting all pedals and just grabbing the new Ampeg PF20T and use the transformer DI out.

Sorry I have no experience with either the TH or Bassbone OD and can't really help. Long story long, subbed!

The Diaper Geni likes this.
  3. The Diaper Geni

Nov 22, 2005
    Central Ohio
    Hmmmmm....Maybe this is why I didn't get any hits on my search?

BUMPing tot he top to see if anybody has any experience with these two pedal preamps.

4. The Diaper Geni

Nov 22, 2005
    Central Ohio
    Don't make me go buy a BBOD.

I'm warning you....I'll do it!!

5. Nudge to the top... Oh, you already bumped it. Anyway...

Radial has a simple instrument selector, the Bigshot, which you could use in front of your beloved Tone Hammer. Cheaper than the Bassbone OD, solves your dilemma for two inputs and retains your TH.

bigshotio-top.png bigshot-io-panel.jpg

I know this doesn't help with the comparison you seek, but it solves your immediate need to have two basses integrated into your rig.

6. Sid the Kid

Sid the Kid Supporting Member

Jun 7, 2013
    Illinois
    What keeps me wanting the Bassbone OD is the high pass filter and mid selection switch for each channel. Dang it. How can this not be a more popular pedal?

Buy one already Diaper Geni and let me know if it is worth it! My gear budget is currently being sapped by a diaper filler.

Bassmunnky and The Diaper Geni like this.
  7. The Diaper Geni

Nov 22, 2005
    Central Ohio
    I thought about this, but ideally I'd like to have separate EQ for each bass.

I must admit I don't really neeeeed to have two different signal paths...But you know.

Also, I've really grown attached to my Broughton Azure Drive for light OD as opposed to my Tone Hammer (or Agro). They are all excellent, EXCELLENT light OD's. The Azure just has a certain high-mid "clarity", without being clanky, that I really dig. The TH has got that sweet-a** low-mid thing going on. To be honest I'd be happy with any one of the three. My poor little Agro is looking nervous as I suspect it's going to be on the chopping block soon. But I digress......

8. The Diaper Geni

Nov 22, 2005
    Central Ohio

Been there. Done that. As a Mr. Mom, I can sympathize!

9. Well, you could get the Big Shot and then buy two Empress Para EQs to handle EQ duties. Or just get the BBOD and be done with it. :D

devnulljp likes this.
  10. devnulljp

devnulljp Supporting Member

Oct 13, 2009
    BC, Canada
    Admin on the D*A*M Forum
    Then go get the Bassbone. You won't regret it. Best bit of kit I ever bought was the original Bassbone. The BBOD goes a few better with the selectable high impedance input (so it works better with my standup bass pickup) and actual EQ for both channels instead of just switchable presets on one channel like the original. I actually don't use the OD at all, but the version w/o OD doesn't have all the bells I use on the BBOD.
    It's a great DI too :)
    The only thing I wish they'd kept is the TRS loop as it keeps the cable runs neater than with separate send/return.

11. The Diaper Geni

Nov 22, 2005
    Central Ohio

Since you actually have the BBOD, what's the OD sound like? Tubey? Fizzy? Fuzzy? Buzzy? Wuzzy?

devnulljp likes this.
  12. devnulljp

devnulljp Supporting Member

Oct 13, 2009
    BC, Canada
    Admin on the D*A*M Forum
    Not fuzzy/fizzy at all. Not exactly tubey either though. Quite compressed, but the mix knob is useful so you can get a bit of subtle hair without everything becoming all squished.

13. The Diaper Geni

Nov 22, 2005
    Central Ohio
    I'm actually thinking about offing the TH and keeping the Agro. 1) The TH and Agro definitely have the same tone "signature" going on. 2) Won't need the TH's DI if I DO get the BBOD. 3) The TH will fetch more money than the Agro.

14. The Diaper Geni

Nov 22, 2005
    Central Ohio
    Aaaannnnnd....The TH is up for sale.

I need help. :help:

15. jthisdell

jthisdell

Jun 12, 2014
    Roanoke, VA
    I double and use a Bassbone OD into a TH500. I bought the Bassbone specifically for the piezo input and the two channels of eq are nice. I use the HPF frequently and the mute is actually very nice and handy, keeps everything very professional. The variable mid control is somewhat handy as I can set the variable mid on the TH to one freq and the Bassbone to another. (But as I have learned how the Drive works on the TH I find myself needing less eq.) I have not been able to successfully use the OD circuit, I cannot find a way to use it without affecting the overall gain of the preamp. In other words, I'd like to be able to switch on some grit without affecting my volume, especially going between two instruments. But I really did not buy it for the OD anyway. I also tried using the fx loop in the Bassbone but was not real happy with the results (and this one may be operator error not understanding the blend function). So while it is a nice pre I wish they had actually left some of the features out of it. For instance, you can use channel 1 with the piezo but there is another feature whereby if you only have one instrument plugged in then the pz button goes off so you can toggle one input between the two channels. So if I use my upright only I have to have an empty cord plugged into 2 so the pz works. usually not a problem as I keep it plugged up in my board but when I take it out I have to remember. Embarrassing incident while cab shopping, remembered after I had been demoing cabs for like a half an hour. "Oh yeah, gotta plug in an empty cord to make the pz work so it buffers correctly. OK, let's start over..."

So I find the OD to be a nice pre for doubling but I feel it would work better if they took some of the features out of it and I can't recommend the OD section (but like I said I don't really use much OD). I bought this before the new ToneBone 2 came out, which probably would be more to my liking. but this is just my humble ramblings.

16. The Diaper Geni

Nov 22, 2005
    Central Ohio
    Thanks for the review and insight!! Interesting tidbits about the OD volume, FX loop and single bass PZ button. Weird design features, for sure.

17. The Diaper Geni

Nov 22, 2005
    Central Ohio
    BBOD located! Should be here next week.

Stay tuned....

18. jthisdell

jthisdell

Jun 12, 2014
    Roanoke, VA
    That's what happens when you try to put a ton of features in a product.

19. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Aug 4, 2021