1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Tone Help Please!

Discussion in 'G&L Bass Forum' started by fastfloyd, Sep 11, 2008.

1. fastfloyd

fastfloyd

Apr 22, 2008
    Lebanon OR.
    I just got My first G&L trib. I love it,but i'm Having a hard time with it overdriving my GK. I play mostly Hardrock/metal, and in order to cut through 2 tube amps I need quite a bit of volume.
    My rig is a back line 600 with 4x10, and 1x15 cabs. It's not much but it's the nicest rig I've ever had , but I just can't seem to find the right settings. Any suggestions are very welcome.

2. spideyjg

spideyjg

Mar 19, 2006
    San Diego
    Plug it into the active input of the GK, roll the volume on the bass back, roll back the bass tone, then boost both your GK mid controls and undo any of those 3 "scoop" switches.

Your mids gets you cutting through but will sound nasty and harsh alone.

Jim

3. shatterd

shatterd

Feb 24, 2008
    Also...cutting thru is overrated. You dont want to cut so badly that you sound sterile and bright. Remember, you are playing bass. If the room is shaking then you are doing your job. I think it's nice to cut thru, but there is a fine balance there to consider.

I prefer the term 'punch' over cutting. John Myung is a good example. Sometimes when I listen to them on records, I have a difficult time hearing Myung over Petrucci, but the punch of his bass really comes thru. I may not hear every note, but I hear the punch of the changes and his low end thump is so dynamic. To each his own I guess.

4. ric stave

ric stave

May 6, 2006
    Buffalo, NY
    If you are overdriving the input of your amp/preamp, try lowering the pickups on your bass - the MFDs are very hot. And remember that the EQ is "cut only" - somewhere between 1/2-3/4 is a good 'neutral' spot - if they are full-up, they only add to the hotness of the bass.

Not always a bad thing.... ;)

5. Nedmundo

Nedmundo Supporting Member

Jan 7, 2005
    Philadelphia
    If your head has a "-14db" input pad like the G-K RB series heads, engage it. With MFD's, you have no choice. Otherwise you'll clip the input stage. I don't know if that's your problem, but if so, this might help.

Beyond that, think about rolling back the bass EQ on your amp, or use the passive bass cut on the G&L. Bass frequencies soak up lots of wattage, and cutting through is about the mid-range. So, by reducing the bass and tailoring the mids (especially low-mids) to taste, you'll have more wattage available for the frequencies you need. Compression can help too.

Finally, if your head simply isn't powerful enough for your situation and you can't get a new one, try an Aphex Bass Xciter. It can make your rig sound larger than it is, and fill out the sound nicely without using up too much wattage. It produces unbelievable results with my L-1500 through some rigs.

6. fastfloyd

fastfloyd

Apr 22, 2008
    Lebanon OR.
    All Good Stuff. Thanks for the tips guys! I'll give them a try.