Tone intervention for guitarist?

Discussion in 'Band Management [BG]' started by permadave, Mar 9, 2006.

1. permadave

Jul 20, 2004
    Atlanta, GA
    Tone intervention for guitarist? Has anyone ever had one?

Our guitar player is truly awesome and has awesome equipment - (Les Paul + 5150 head and cab)....but... somehow it sounds like he's playing a ukulele in an underwater cavern when he runs through all his solid state pedals. For some reason he uses a Boss DD6 digital delay in every song and it sounds like complete crap with our style of music. When he plugs straight into the 5150, it sounds pretty rowdy, which is what we need, as most of our newer material is classic rock oriented. Our guitar player seems to take things very personally and tone is a very personal thing so it's going to be a delicate situation I think to have this discussion. question is have you ever had to confront another musician about their tone and what was the response.
  2. Tony G

Tony G

Jan 20, 2006
    I am actually going through the same exact thing with my guitarist. He has a virtual sea of pedals and I think they really kill his overall sound. He has a great clean and tube overdriven tone for soloing, but he gets so muddy sometimes as he loves his wah pedal. The guy uses it one everything. I have been trying to gently tell him that his rythm sound is crap, and he needs to do something about it. Unfortunetly, what we as bassists hear in our heads isn't exactly what guitarists hear in theirs.
  3. need4mospd

Dec 22, 2005
    If we don't like the tone he's using, we tell him, "Hey, we don't like that tone, try something else."

And usually, he'll either explain the tone he's using or he'll change it up just to see how we like it. It's easy for us because we all respect each other, no one has an ego, and he can usually admit it sounds better with different suggestions.
  4. Tony G

Tony G

Jan 20, 2006

I totally agree, and that is the way it is with my current project. I guess I just don't want to hurt anyones feelings.
  5. chaosMK

May 26, 2005
    Albuquerque, NM
    Hi-fi into an old tube amp
    My guitarist is plenty talented, but a newbie to gear and tone. I would ask him to change his tone, but that would mean at least $1000 upgrades amp wise.
  6. permadave

Jul 20, 2004
    Atlanta, GA

That's awesome that you guys have that kind of relationship. A lot of guitarists and lead singers (he's both) seem to have very strong personalities, which makes it a bit tenuous. We have mentioned that we hate the delay pedal but it's always, "ya but" insert reason. I guess we may need to say it more firmly and lovingly because the band's sound is suffering as we are only a power trio.
  7. Record some songs, and then show him.... he may be right next to his amp, and it may sound good to him..

I played with scooped mids for quite a while until I realized just how much mud I was adding to the took a Squier P-Bass for me to realize this - I took it to practice because my beloved Aria Pro(active EMGs) was having work done to it.

...all my bandmates were like "Wow, that bass sounds great!" ... The Squire was naturally Mid-heavy, whereas I could attenuate mids with my active I hate my old tone.
  8. Joe P

Joe P

Jul 15, 2004
    Milwaukee, WI
    "...very stro..? a bit... ..? Hm.

Oh! You mean "be very arrogant, which makes them dinks"!

9. permadave

Jul 20, 2004
    Atlanta, GA

That is so funny. I had the same experience with my Squier Jazz bass at practice.... It made me GAS for an "older" school sound and now I'm playing a G&L ;)