1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Tone is in the hands.

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Dr. Cheese, Dec 25, 2016.

1. Dr. Cheese

Dr. Cheese Gold Supporting Member

Mar 3, 2004
    Metro St. Louis

I posted this last Spring, but all of the discussion about basses made me look at these clips because I am rehearsing the same song on two different basses. My old purple Forum, it has a new home, but I still have my black Forum, and my DJ5. The DJ5 was using the bridge pickup only with a bass boost on my Sadowsky preamp.

2. Tone is in the electronics

Dr. Cheese likes this.
  3. ASQTec

ASQTec Above Average

May 2, 2010
    Thanks for reiterating that the hands make up only part of the tone.

gebass6 and Dr. Cheese like this.
  4. Tone is determined by the electronics, string choice, and hands, with the hands being the most important. I have been in a store more than once and have seen two or three different bassist play the same bass through the same amp and have different tones. Still there is the consistency of the rest of the rig there. It's all part of the tone chain.

5. zontar

zontar

Feb 19, 2014
    J-5
    Tone is in all parts of the signal change--but some are more important than others--and the hands/fingers is a very important part.

bassomane, JMacBass65 and Dr. Cheese like this.
  6. NoiseNinja

NoiseNinja Experimental-psychedelic-ambient-noise-drone Banned

Feb 23, 2011
    Denmark
    Of course your playing technique/style will have an influence on the tone you get out of your bass.

But if it was true that it was the only thing that mattered you might as well buy the absolute cheapest bass, with the cheapest pickups, cheapest strings (and it wouldn't matter if they were flats, rounds, steel or whatever), the cheapest amp and the cheapest cab.

Anyone who truly and firmly believe tone is in the fingers alone and buy expensive gear, would be an idiot.

I simply don't get people who knows how to play bass can believe this kind of nonsense or where they got it from.

To me it would be like Neil Armstrong still firmly believing the earth is flat and that the moon is made of cheese.

If you just have a small amount of experience playing on different gear and have a minimum of common sense you would know that playing technique, type and quality of strings, bass, pickups and pickup placement as well as amp and cap, even the room you play in and type of material your bass is made of will play a part of the equation that makes out the tone of your output.

Last edited: Dec 26, 2016
  7. mrb327

mrb327

Mar 6, 2013
    Colorado
    Nobody Knows
    Best part of the post is the bass face...

fender68 likes this.
  8. bolophonic

bolophonic

Dec 10, 2009
    Durham, NC
    Tone is in the strings.

9. zontar

zontar

Feb 19, 2014
    J-5
    See the thing here is--is tone completely in the fingers? It is not in the fingers?
    No to both.
    As has been posted by myself & others--it is factor--and important one--but not the only one--so your post is an overstatement.

10. My fingers have nothing to do with it ... I use picks ;)

Will_White likes this.
  11. chris_b

chris_b

Jun 2, 2007
    Sorry, but the only thing that makes you a better bass player (or worse player) than the next guy is you, not your gear.

12. NoiseNinja

Feb 23, 2011
    Denmark
    And I guess your post is trying to start an argument for the sake of arguing.

If not, I am missing your point completely.

What I do say pretty clearly is that tone is in the fingers, or more specifically in the way you use your fingers, as I worded it, but it is also in whatever equipment you are using.

Sure your playing style/technique is what makes someone able to hear it is you playing over everyone else, but would you sound different if you played on different gear, definitely!

Just as you wouldn't change personality just because you changed clothes from a pink pair of overalls to a black tuxido.

13. zontar

zontar

Feb 19, 2014
    J-5
    Not at all--just wondering why you went on a rant about it when nobody posted that tone was only in the hands.
    You seemed to be arguing a point nobody made in this thread.

14. NoiseNinja

Feb 23, 2011
    Denmark
    I was not ranting, not at all.

I was simply explaining where I stood on that point, you know the topic I assume this thread is all about, and why.

I am not arguing with anyone in this thread, I simply stated that I do not know where people got from that tone should be only about the way you use your fingers, because it is honestly a bit of a mystery to me how someone who knows how to play bass could ever come to that conclusion.

I guess I could have limited myself to writing "agreed", but then again I might as well not have posted anything at all.

If people were only allowed to state what already had been stated in whatever thread, we might as well close the forum down.

Sometimes it is ok to elaborate on your opinion you know, sometimes it even makes it easier for other people to understand what you mean, unless they as you insist on disagreeing.

If anyone gone off topic in this thread to start with it would be you.

Ox Boris likes this.
  15. zontar

zontar

Feb 19, 2014
    J-5
    Okay--thanks for clarifying

mrb327 likes this.
  16. monsterthompson

monsterthompson The Eighth Note Wonder Of The World Supporting Member

Nov 25, 2008
    Hollywood
    Trolling the forum with this old chestnut? This oughta end predictably.

17. two fingers

two fingers Opinionated blowhard. But not mad about it. Gold Supporting Member

Feb 7, 2005
    Eastern NC USA
    Tone is in the atmospheric conditions on the day of the recording.

btmpancake, mdogs and zontar like this.
  18. MD

MD

Nov 7, 2000
    Marin Co. CA.
    Well, if you have frets, the tone is in the nickel. And the strings, amp....

19. Dr. Cheese

Dr. Cheese Gold Supporting Member

Mar 3, 2004
    Metro St. Louis
    There has been an interesting range of responses to my initial post. My point was to note the similarity of the same guy playing the same song with the same people on different basses. I do not think anybody literally thought I said I could pick any bass and play through any amp sounding the same. On the flip side, if I picked Marcus Miller's or Andrew Gouche's rig expecting a transformation, I would be disappointed. Happy New Year in advance everybody.:bassist:

Last edited: Dec 27, 2016
  20. mrb327

mrb327

Mar 6, 2013
    Colorado
    Nobody Knows
    I under meant what you stood. And stand by my comment about awesome bass face

Dr. Cheese likes this.