Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

tone is messed up

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by el_degas, Jan 3, 2002.

1. el_degas

el_degas

Dec 3, 2001
    canada
    i have a real old school. el degas that only has one tone control. there are some bad connections in the back of the bass that is affecting its sound. i was just wondering if anyone new any good sites that could help me with describing how a bass works and how i mght be able to fix the problem.

2. SuperDuck

SuperDuck

Sep 26, 2000
    Wisconsin
    What kind of problems are you having, specifically? Buzzing/humming? Does the sound drop out every now and again?

3. el_degas

el_degas

Dec 3, 2001
    canada
    its all hummin and buzzin kind of stuff the tone control doesnt affect anythin even when the bad connections are hooked up

4. Well this forum is a good start in learning how a bass works. ;)

So its all buzzing etc? How confident are you with a soldering iron?? Maybe the inside cavity needs shielding, the earthing connections probably have become old and not making a sound connection.

Have you always had this problem or is just recently??

Merls

5. el_degas

el_degas

Dec 3, 2001
    canada
    ive just recently had the problem im not good really with any power tools the only problem is just the wires are not connected where there are supposed to be if i touvh the wires to where they are supposed to be the buzzin stops the problem is they wont stay in those places and there are 3 wires like taht