Tone Jump!

Discussion in 'Luthier's Corner' started by angus_parney, Dec 12, 2003.

1. Hey, for the last few months I've been working on my own '75 style Jazz I built from parts.
    I recently rewired the pots for a vol/vol/tone combination and added an EMG Select in the neck possition.

But last night I was playing in a rock covers band, my tone was quite deep and warm, when all of a sudden, without touching the amp or bass controls, the tone jumped to bright and crispy?!
    After a couple of minutes the tone returned to the way I set it :confused:

On a rough guess I would say the capacitor was the problem as the tone jump was only temporary, but could I please have some thoughts and advice on this?

Thanx ;)
  2. Bass Kahuna

Bass Kahuna

Dec 3, 2002
    West Lafayette, Indiana
    Luthier, Custom Builder
    I'll go along with your first diagnosis that it could have been the tone capacitor in your bass going "open" vs. shorting out.

It could just be a cold or loose solder joint on the cap as well.

It also could have been a bad contact on the wiper of the tone pot, or even something in the pre-amp section of the amplifier.

I would start with the tone capacitor and tone pot. Replace them both, while you've got it open and the soldering iron heated up. Check all the other solder joints on the pots and grounds for good, clean, shiny solder as well. Wick or vacuum off any that look dull or that you otherwise suspect and re-solder them.

3. Hey, thanx for helping me out :)
    The electronics are pretty old and were given to me along with the body :p
    I'll replace the pot and cap (I recently re-soldered everything so that should be good, and the amp is a newish Ashdown MAG rig so hopefully no problems there).

Take it easy, Angus.