tone knob crackle ... HELP! :P

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by skunk19, Dec 29, 2004.

1. skunk19

Dec 28, 2004
    Hey there.

I was wondering if someone out there could help me. I just got a brand new Squier Afinity - P bass, and I love it, but there is one major issue with it. When ever I turn the tone knob anywhere from say 25% - 100% I get a crackling sound when I gently tap the pickguard or shake the guitar. I've tried every differnt amp setting to no avail. Is there anything I can do other than feel sorry for myself for buying a Squier :p ... (hey! it came with an amp and I got a deal..). Please help! Thanks.

P.S. I remodel and repair electric guitars, so I know the electronics inside out, and my local repair shop charges an arm and a leg just to look at your rig. I've already taken the pickguard off, and there appears to be no soldering loose, and I tightened the tone/volume/output jack.
  2. There is a reason the squires cost a lot less than the MIM,MIJ. and American Basses. they use cheap parts. the best thing you could do is get all the pots changed out to better grade pots, the best you can afford. that should take care of your noise problem when you change the position of the switch.
  3. Skunk, one of the recommended upgrades for the Japanese Fenders was to replace the pots. This is known to greatly increase the output and sensitivity of the circuit. If the danged Fenders need this done, you can imagine what an instrument costing 1/10 of that might need.

Do it, it works!
  4. skunk19

Dec 28, 2004
    thank you gentlemen. i'll look into that.
  5. mashed potatoes

mashed potatoes

Nov 11, 2003
    also, try taking one of those cans of "Compressed air" and gently blowing into the pot. I once had a crackling pot on my warwick and e-mailed the manufacturer about it. They recommended the method of spraying the air into it to remove dust that may cause crackling. It worked like a charm :)
  6. Skull3

Nov 3, 2002
    Along with using compressed air to get out the dust, also try a contact cleaner (you can get them at any electonic shop). Dust is conductive so the resistance of the pot greatly changes when dust gets into the pot. That change in resistance is causes the crackling sound.
    Now if the contact cleaner doesn't work, then you have a low quality/defective pot. Again, purchase the pot at any electronic place. A music stop is way overpriced. You can get the pot specs on the manufacture's web page.
    Incidently, contact cleaner should be a household item. I use it on radios, amps, and any electronic product.