Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Tone Knob: like one on your bass or not

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by tiredman9, Aug 28, 2005.

1. Yes I like a tone knob on my bass and i use it

17 vote(s)
    70.8%
  2. Nope dont find em useful

5 vote(s)
    20.8%
  3. I like one on my bass but never use it

2 vote(s)
    8.3%
  1. tiredman9

tiredman9

Aug 15, 2005
    New York
    So do you guys prefer a tone knob on your bass or do you find your basses dont need one at all, even if they dont have active electronics.

2. Two of my basses are active, and I use the tone knobs...especially on my Carvin AC-40 who's tone is a little too "glassy" without turning down the highs a bit and putting up the lows a tad...

One of my basses is a passive PJ and I like to roll off the highs when going to P-bass mode to get that classic tone.

Lastly, one of my basses has a single soapbar with no tone control, and this bass sounds so sweet, in both series and parallel mode, that a tone control would be an absolute waste.

By the way...I really LIKE the classic, lowpass passive tone control. Also, I think that sonically, you should always start with cut before active boost (to me, it just sounds sweeter that way)

3. elros

elros

Apr 24, 2004
    Norway
    Proprietor, Helland Musikk Teknologi
    I used to have one on my bass, but I never used it.
    So I took it off, replacing it with a very useful coil selector switch.

4. jamitman39

jamitman39

Aug 29, 2005
    Louisiana
    With only one bass to play, I use both the front and rear pick-ups individual tone knobs. As well as the sweep in-between the pick-ups. Without tone, anyone?
    DB