Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

tone knob

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by Ulyanov, Jul 6, 2001.

1. Hey, I have a stupid question. I know that when you turn your tone knob down, it cuts the treble, or something like that. Anyway, I'm looking at a Yamaha RBX765A which has a 2 band active EQ system. How does a 2 band EQ system compare to the simple tone knob?

2. well if i understand your question like i'm supposed to..

with 1 tone-knob.. the setting can vary between

all bass -> all treble

with 2-band eq you can vary between

all bass -> no bass a
    AND
    all treble -> no treble

so you can tune both trebble and bass, which gives you more possibilities in tone-shape.

3. CS

CS

Dec 11, 1999
    UK
    It cuts and boosts bass and treble. Some knobs have a centre click for flat.

4. i'll go more in depth with what cs said.

With an active eq, you have the ability to cut/boost a frequency. Often its a 2 or 3 band, which then you have the ablity to cut/boost more than one frequence. Imainge it as more than one tone knob, but stronger, more powerful, and then the different ones adjust different frequenceys.

for the record, a tone knob only takes away the treble, so when you have it all the way up, its just no cut, no boost.

5. Thanks everyone, that's what I was looking for.

6. MOR_Lio

MOR_Lio

Sep 9, 2004
    Does that mean that playing with my tone knob all the way down, or half-way down would reduce the quality of my sound?

I have been playing with my tone knob in the lower half since I started because I look how it sounds better, but do you think it could hurt my sound?

7. Only

Only

Sep 8, 2002
    Warrensburg, MO
    If you like how it sounds, how could it be hurting your sound? :confused:

8. Aaron Saunders

Aaron Saunders

Apr 27, 2002
    Ontario
    Nope, it's just cutting certain frequencies. This does nothing to the quality of the tone, because quality of tone is completely subjective. Unless I'm doing solo stuff or I'm playing a lot of harmonics, I turn the tone on my Yamaha fretless down from 10 to about 5 or 6.

9. MOR_Lio

MOR_Lio

Sep 9, 2004

Good point!