1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Tone knobs not working properly

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by Levi Kramer, Jan 6, 2017.

1. Levi Kramer

Levi Kramer

Jan 2, 2017
    Hi, I have a question about the knobs on my 1963 höfner 185.
    They behalve pretty strangely and I would like to know if there's a way I can fix it without bringing it to a repair shop.
    There are a lot of stances on which the bass loses either almost all volume or all tone. And for all knobs but the top one (the volume knob for the neck pickup) putting it at 10 makes it lose all signal for the respective function. With the neck pickup volume it's the exact opposite, putting it at anything but a 10 makes the bass lose basically all signal.
    Now I could go into greater detail about how each knob behaves but I don't know if that would help.
    Can anyone tell me what the issue might be and how to fix this?
    Thanks!

2. Turnaround

Turnaround Commercial User

May 6, 2004
    Toronto Canada
    Independent Instrument Technician, and Contractor to Club Bass and Guitar - Toronto
    Could be a wiring problem, or it may just be worn out or dirty potentiometers. I would start by cleaning the pots with a good contact cleaner. If that doesn't improve it, then it may be time for new pots, or at least a good electronics checkup.

3. Levi Kramer

Levi Kramer

Jan 2, 2017
    Thank you for the reply! Is there no 'for-sure' way to tell what the problem is though?

4. Tim Skaggs

Tim Skaggs

Sep 28, 2002
    Sure; use process of elimination. I'd start with Turnaround's suggestion. Even if that's not the fix, you aren't out hardly any time or money, and you'll have clean pots when you get the actual problem resolved.