1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Tone loss Questions

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Jimmy Bob, Apr 2, 2013.

1. Jimmy Bob

Jimmy Bob

Jul 1, 2012
    Hi, was a bit unsure where to post this on TB but I thought here may be the most appropriate.

Anyway, I have a question/observation.
    Firstly I guess you should know what I'm playing.
    I play a Fender V and a Warwick FNA Jazzman 5 through an SVT-VR and a Bergantino NV412.

I find that when I increase the treble on the either the bass preamp, or flick the ultra high on the SVT (for example), it makes a huge loss of low frequencies and a huge loss of punch on the upper strings, especially above the 12th fret.
    The low strings B E A sound round, crunchy, etc, but everything else sounds piddly weak in terms of both volume level and tone.
    For example (when I have the ultra-high engaged), I hit a low B string and it sounds loud, bassy, deep, punchy. Then I hit the G string on the 14th fret and it sounds twangy, no punch, and about 1/3rd of the volume of the B string.
    Why the hell is this? It happens on both my basses. I would expect it to be a bit twangy but still bassy, ballsy, and most important, the same volume output on all the frets.
    I've heard great bass tone from other bassists before where it sounds twangy, punchy, full, and even across all the frets they play.
    What am I doing wrong?

2. JimmyM

JimmyM

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    Who knows? What are your settings on the SVT? Could be a lack of mids. Could be you're just cranking your highs so hard that everything else sounds low by comparison. And your pickups may be too far from the strings. Go to http://www.fender.com/support/articles/bass-guitar-setup-guide/ for a good tutorial on setting pickup height and other setup tips.

3. RickenBoogie

RickenBoogie

Jul 22, 2007
    Dallas, TX
    I agree, it sounds like your basses need a good set up.

4. Sid Fang

Sid Fang Reformed Fusion Player Supporting Member

Jun 12, 2008
    It's *possible* that two basses of very different design are both set up in the same bizarre way, but my first question is: Do you get this effect with any amp other than that SVT?