Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Tone nirvana - Fodera Monarch though a Berg/EBS

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Jerry J, Apr 11, 2002.

1. Jerry J

Jerry J Supporting Member

Mar 27, 2000
    P-town, OR
    Since I've been in Dallas for the past two weeks I've tried to hit most of the local music shops.

This afternoon I went to Larry Morgan's and played a WONDERFUL Fodera Monarch (make note to self to start saving for a Fodera). This was though and EBS HD 350 into several really cool cabs. I went there specifically to try out an Epifani 2-10 cab like I'd heard at a jam sessions several nights before. I was a really nice sounding cab but didn't sound in the store like it did at the jam. This really goes to show that what sounds good in one place may be completely different in another. The sells guy said that I really should try out the Bergantino 1-12 so I gave it a go. Holy smokes it sounded GREAT. Then we hooked up two of the Berg 1-12's. I think that I'm GASing for a pair of Berg 1-12's. I couldn't believe the the small size and what are they, about 30 pounds? They sure made me re-think things.

Is anyone using the single 12 Bergantino's? Has anyone given them a test drive? They are a bit on the spendy side compared to the Aguilar single 12 but they are significantly smaller. I do have an issue with the chrome grill but I guess I could get use to them.

I almost forgot! The HD 350 is one sweet amp. I wish that I had some more time to fool around with that amp. Playing through the little EBS kinda makes me want to compare the Fafner to my WT-800. Hmmm...

It was a real fun afternoon. I wish that there was a shop like that in Portland, where I live.

2. RAM

RAM

May 10, 2000
    Chicago, IL
    I have the Fafner and tried out the HD350. The HD350 is newer, so it has a couple more features, like modeling, which the Fafner doesn't have. But, the Fafner has more power and also has a tube in between the preamp and power amp for that added tube warmth.

IMO, the Fafner and it's little bro, the HD350, beat the pants off any Eden.:D I tried the HD350 through a Bergantino 3x10 and thought it sounded great! The EBS 4x10 had a little more punch and growl, but the Bergie was flat and sweet!

If you ever have the time, spend it checking out EBS gear! You won't be sorry.;)

3. jokerjkny

jokerjkny

Jan 19, 2002
    NY / NJ / PA
    Lucky duck! that sounds like a killer rig to try. :)

FYI, I've got a Bergie HT112, and its the cornerstone of my rig. i do small gigs for my jazz combo, and church 3 piece worship team, and love how it does everything i need from low dinner/coffee house tones, to full on stage rattling volume. i, too, use a solid state amp with my Bergie: an EA iAMP350. its my tonal match. here's a gratuitous showoff pic... :D

[​IMG]

i've tried Aguilar's GS112, Eden CXM112, Epifani's T112, and EA's CXL112 as well. The Berg seems to have the smoothest attack of them all. Dont expect a grunty, growly low-middy cab that'll sledgehammer you with its tone. Rather, envision a more rounded, refined feel that's sweet and beautifully articulate. There really isnt another cab like it. Each note is clearly heard and is full, round and bright. Yet, ballsy and focused enough for the funk, but no quite in the vein of an Eden or Aguilar.

IMHO, The Epi's are my overall definite fav and seem to be a nice combo of the Aguilar's low mid crang but with the hifi sense of the EA. not as rounded as the bergie, but still refined. at higher volume, tho, it does unleash a growly midrange that starts to sizzle. its also incredibly expensive at $635 a pop, so i'm still on the fence on whether or not to get one to augment my rig. tax season ya know... ;)

For the money tho, the Aguilar GS112's are a great deal @ $299 street and IMHO, the best in its class and price range bar none. Sure at lower volume, it sounds as 2D as dry cardboard. But open it up with some juice, and it's tone is as thick as molasses. Not as nearly as refined as the Bergie, but growly and thick with low mids, yet waaay more hifi than an Eden could ever wish to be. a great kick in the pants type cab. its pretty colored, and dont expect a flat response curve like that of the EA, but for what it does, i still like it!

Hope this helps you find what you're lookin' for.

4. I have GOT to get over to Larry Morgan music!

I keep forgetting about that place!

5. Jerry J

Mar 27, 2000
    P-town, OR
    Hey Jeff, I know that you just got two really incredible basses. I'm still reeling over your new Sadowsky. But you've got to give that Monarch a try. I've found that I really do like $4000 basses.:D To bad I'm not made of money. They also said that they are expecting a 5 string from Vinnie, this week.

I was pretty pleased to get to audition the EBS HD350 through the EBS 4x10, then through the Epifani 2x10, then the Berg 112 alone and paired and finally the Ag 112. I also used the Eden WT-500 since I'm real familiar with the Eden tone. If I was going to be around longer I would have liked to put the Ag 4x10 against the EBS 4x10.

I went ahead and got two of the Levy leather gig bags there. I seemed like about the best price that I had found. They seemed to have a few in stock.

As far as the Berg 112's, I'd like to run a pair of those against my pair of Bag End D10x-D's. A pair of those little Berg's weigh about as much as one of my Bag End's.

6. I just picked up a Berg HT112 a couple of weeks ago and I 'm very happy with the improvement that I've gotten with my sound. I have been running my rig (Eden Navigator/QSC 2404) thru a couple of Acme B-2's and while there's plenty of lowend, I just didn't get the 'cut' and articulation I get with the Berg. The band members concur that my sound is sweeter and more present in the mix. I was a little concerned that it might not be loud enough, but no worries in that department either.

I haven't gigged with it yet (two more weeks) but I think it should be plenty on its own for small clubs. I think I will add one of the Acme's for some of the outdoor gigs we have coming up, though.

If I had another thumb, I'd have 3 up in the air for this cab.

7. jokerjkny

jokerjkny

Jan 19, 2002
    NY / NJ / PA
    Hey chewie,

not to make the GAS worse, but i say sell the B-2, and get another Bergie or whatever 1x12. there a few doods on the Dudepit board who are really happy with their tone. Good bass throw with the articulation, all in a nice portable, chiropractor friendly rig. try an Aguilar 1x12 for a little low end meatiness. might be a good raspier companion to the sweeter Bergie.

also, after a visit to Nick Epifani's, i've realized i'm a 12" speaker man. Lately, i've been shopping for 2x10's and paid Nick a visit to try one of his. But that day, i came out loving the dual 1x12 setup he ran me thru. made me a believer of the 12". enough cone for tone, yet with the punch i love for my slap/funk. 10" just seemed just like a lot of "punch" to me.

but again, remember, this is IMHO!

8. Andrew Jones

Andrew Jones Banned

Feb 28, 2001
    Northampton Mass
    I was thinkin about this set up at one point but I countnt get both in the same room at the same time with out purchasing one first.

What scared me was the difference in efficiantcy

Berg sensitivity: 97db • anechoic: 2.83v/1m

Aguilar Sensitivity: 102db @ 1w-1m

thats five db difference right? thats alot right? Because I didnt have a stereo power sorse I thought I would no say over the "mix"

AJ

9. Jerry J

Mar 27, 2000
    P-town, OR
    Andrew, odd that you should bring this point up.

We used the Eden WT-500 to run a single GS112 then the Berg 112. I immediately noticed that the Berg seemed significantly louder than the Aguilar. I was really very surprised.

10. Andrew Jones

Andrew Jones Banned

Feb 28, 2001
    Northampton Mass
    Intresting the specs would indicate that the aguilar would be louder .Did you run them of of either side in stereo ( 250 a side 4 ohm so its 125 in each)then use the balence nob to even them out?

AJ

11. Jerry J

Mar 27, 2000
    P-town, OR
    I've learned that specs don't tell the whole truth. ;)

We just plugged one cab in and then the other. I'm pretty sure he was just going the full 500 (?) watts into one and then the other. The one thing that I didn't check was what the impedence was on both the cabs. Although I'm pretty sure they were both 8 ohm cabs. We did run a pair of the Bergs in parallel for about 5 minutes. I'm sure that the guy wouldn't have done that with a 2 ohm load so the Bergs were, for sure, 8 ohms.;)

12. Andrew Jones

Andrew Jones Banned

Feb 28, 2001
    Northampton Mass
    It would make sence to bridge that amp and run one cab it will put 500 into 8 ohms but when you hooked up bolth he probally gave you one side 250 into 4.

AJ

13. Jerry J

Mar 27, 2000
    P-town, OR
    Nope, they were run in parallel. We even joked about how the Edens don't like to run 4 ohms when bridged.

The Bergantino 112 was noticably louder than the Aguilar.

14. jokerjkny

jokerjkny

Jan 19, 2002
    NY / NJ / PA
    If y'all dont mine, kinda wanna jump in here...

Totally agree with Jerry, and say that the Berg was noticibly louder than the Aguilar. The EA 1x12 i tried there as well, was louder, and maybe a smidge louder than the Berg. all were running 8 ohm and powered by an Eden WT400. in the end, the berg was my champ.

I played all three at Rudy's Music when i was searching for a good 1x12, and found those results. I guess i shoulda mentioned that, and now see that this might not be a good setup... :( unless of course, you're willing to go stereo to compensate.

15. I finally made it over to Larry Morgan's on Saturday. What a great store! they had several very impressive basses, but that Fodera Monarch was outstanding. I have played only 2 Foderas before and wasn't really impressed with either, especially for the premium price. However, that Monarch was a fine piece of wood! Sounded great, very responsive, outstanding workmanship. I played thru the Epifani cabs. I didn't get the chance to play thru the Bergs, but I will try them out this weekend. Fun store!

Jeff

16. jokerjkny

jokerjkny

Jan 19, 2002
    NY / NJ / PA
    anyone got a URL for Larry's store?

17. Jerry J

Mar 27, 2000
    P-town, OR
    I talked to Marcus about going on the www. and he said that they are planning on it soon. I wouldn't go so far as to say that their prices are killer but do have some pretty nice stuff coming and going through there. I was pleased that I was able to get the 2 Levy leather gig bags since nobody seems to have them in stock.

Hey Jeff, when you are in there please tell Marcus that Jerry, the guy from Portland, sent you. They will get a kick out of that. Did you get a load of that Modulus with the spalted top? I'm not a Modulus fan but that bass was sure a beauty. ;)

18. I'll tell 'em you sent me! I did see and play that Modulus - very nice bass. First one I have seen with an Aguilar preamp - 2 volume and 2 tone controls. Very nice!

I thought their prices were a bit on the high side, but I didn't try and get them to move off the "discounted" price they had stickered. Still, a very cool store. Did you make it up to Spier Music?

Jeff