1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  
  2. We are aware of an issue affecting search results for classifieds searches and advanced search functions.  Actively working on a fix, thanks for your patience!

Tone on my Genz-Benz Streamliner 900 seems to have changed...

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by MarkM13, Jan 19, 2017.

1. MarkM13

MarkM13 Supporting Member

Mar 29, 2015
    CT - USA
    Recently my amp is sounding very subdued in the treble/high end (sort of like it has a head cold). I find myself with the treble maxed on the bass and higher than normal on the head. I spent quite a bit of time with trying different settings on the amp and basses but still, the same result. Normally I don't touch the treble on the amp or bass (my active ones at least). I'm usually tweaking the mids if anything. However even the tone of the beefy mids that I love seems to be lacking. I'm wondering if the tubes are aging and losing ht the top end; but given I don't know much of anything about tubes, I could be way off here.
    I did have to replace one back in September (completely different issue; much more drastic) and am now wondering if the others are due.

Thoughts?

Mark

Drums-Bass-Mallet Synth
    More Info at:
    www.m13productions.com

2. Texan

Texan 667 Neighbor of the Beast.

Aug 15, 2004
    Houston, TX
  3. agedhorse

agedhorse Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 12, 2006
    Davis, CA (USA)
    Development Engineer-Mesa, Product Support-Genz Benz
    It's possible that either the v2 or v3 tube is bad. Try replacing with a known good tube one at a time. Be sure the amp is disconnected from the power source before doing anything inside your amp.

4. MarkM13

MarkM13 Supporting Member

Mar 29, 2015
    CT - USA
    All better. Just replaced both v2 and v3 with Mesa tubes actually. It's now back to the amp I love :)
    Thanks again.

agedhorse likes this.
  5. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Apr 21, 2021