Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Tone: On or Off (or Both...)

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by Nyarlathotep, Mar 15, 2006.

1. On

14 vote(s)
    41.2%
  2. Off

7 vote(s)
    20.6%
  3. Both

13 vote(s)
    38.2%
  1. Nyarlathotep

Nyarlathotep Banned

Feb 5, 2006
    West Coast of Canada
    Just a little while ago (like, an hour), I decided to try playing with my bass' tone on. Strangely enough I'm going to keep it that way. Everything is better, I have a more even volume accross strings, and my distortion (PDDI) sounds fuller. This is even true when playing with my fingers (I usually play with pick :bag: ). I always thought that by bass would sound too nasaly with the tone on, and I have to admit that I was wrong :oops: . So, as of now the tone stays on, though I still only use the neck PU.

Anyway, how many others on here play with their bass' tone control(s) on? How many leave them off? How many change based on the song/style of music? I'm suddenly very curious, and glad I'm not a cat ;)

2. None for me thanks, maybe some if it's punk or ska.

3. canopener

canopener

Sep 15, 2003
    Isle of Lucy
    Both. Or on. Or off.

4. steve21

steve21 Banned

You mean the tone knob?

I usually keep it on 10 on my jazz bass.

But my new main bass has a 3-band EQ.

5. i like my bass to have tone on

6. I don't even have a tone knob. The wires came loose, so I put my output jack where it was and put the knob on the shelf. It's not like I use the thing. BTW, there are more options than full rolloff and nil.

7. Nyarlathotep

Nyarlathotep Banned

Feb 5, 2006
    West Coast of Canada
    Yes. The one on the bass.

I consider any position but full off to be "on". It just depends on how "on" you like your tone... Mine just happens to be full on, baby! ;)

8. bobdob20

bobdob20

Mar 5, 2006
    I like mine off and have me bass boost up full to give a heavier sound.

9. Mike N

Mike N Missing the old TB

Jan 28, 2001
    New York
    I keep mine turned up to ten at all times.

10. skewh

skewh

Sep 5, 2005
    Ithaca, NY
    I also keep my tone knob rolled to a secure ten.

11. seanm

seanm I'd kill for a Nobel Peace Prize! Supporting Member

Feb 19, 2004
    Ottawa, Canada
    On most of my basses the tone knob is disconnected. That's about as "off" as you can get :D

12. Nyarlathotep

Nyarlathotep Banned

Feb 5, 2006
    West Coast of Canada
    Results are acctually quite interestings (right now 8-4-5). Like I said before, I always just assumed that bass with the tone rolled on just wouldn't sound right, and I also assumed that most bassists kept it rolled off :scowl: . I find that rolled on gives a more "compleate" signal, making the bass sound "fuller". It's acctually really hard to explain, but that's about the gist of my experience :bassist:

I do get rolling it off sometimes though, especially for a really boomy tone...

13. Actually, it's about as "on" as you can get.

It blows my mind that people actually play with the tone knob all the way down. That must sound awful unless you're in a reggae band.

14. seanm

seanm I'd kill for a Nobel Peace Prize! Supporting Member

Feb 19, 2004
    Ottawa, Canada
    Hmmm, I consider "on" to be actually getting the tone control to do something. i.e. You turn a computer on to use it. In the case of a passive, like my basses, on would mean rolling off the highs. Off is leaving the highs alone.

On an active I would consider "off" to be flat. No boost, no cut.

Again to use the computer analogy, the off switch turns most of the computer off but leaves some things like the NIC chip running. Unplugging the compuer really turns it off.

Rolling "off" the tone still bleeds some highs. Removing the tone control lets all the highs go through so it is even more off.

Does that make sense?

15. Nyarlathotep

Nyarlathotep Banned

Feb 5, 2006
    West Coast of Canada
    In a strange way, yes. But I have to aggree with dancehallclasher, I always think that tone off=treble off...

16. Minger

Minger

Mar 15, 2004
    Rochester, NY
    I do, more or less.

2 Ibanezes with a preamp in each and an SX - it all works out.

The bass knob on the SR800 fattens things up like crazy, which I like.

17. Sure, your reasoning makes sense. Unfortunately, the standard bassist/guitarist speak is that rolling the tone off means less highs, so get on board because it's not gonna change. ;)

18. Jazzin'

Jazzin' ...Bluesin' and Funkin'

Either 100% or 0% for me.

19. Aaron Saunders

Aaron Saunders

Apr 27, 2002
    Ontario
    Wow...there's a definite lack-of-finesse when it comes to controlling your sound with your electronics in this thread!

It varies in many situations. I prefer an on-board preamp, however, like both of my fretted basses.