1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Tone on the Geddy Lee Jazz vs. American Standard

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by LotusCarsLtd52, Mar 11, 2010.

1. LotusCarsLtd52

LotusCarsLtd52

Dec 6, 2009
    I played both a Geddy Lee and American Standard Jazz bass and found that the Lee lacked the classic Jazz tone of the A.S. I was curious why this is the case..what about the Geddy Lee gives it a different tone? Anything to do with the bridge perhaps?

2. LotusCarsLtd52

LotusCarsLtd52

Dec 6, 2009
    /bump

3. Wehner

Wehner

Mar 13, 2007
    Denmark
    I think that to many people the most classic jazz-tone comes from the combination of alder body and rosewood fingerboard with the bridge pickup in 60s postion. The Geddy Lee bass has an alder body but maple fingerboard and pickup in 70s position.

4. Spinal Tapper

Spinal Tapper

Nov 15, 2007
    Chicago
    my geddy was real bright sounding (I also had Roto 66 Stainless roundwounds on her) but it was a cool "Geddy" type tone. Very aggressive and growly, even with the tone rolled off completely.

My 62 RI is very fat and round sounding when I roll the tone off, but can get pretty aggressive when I crank it too. 62 RI more versitle for band situations, but I'd say the Geddy just has a snappier tone all together - a bit more character of it's own.

I'd A/B the two if you can and see what you like most.

5. XXL

XXL calm seas dont make skilled sailors

Jun 14, 2007
    Florida
    I have both basses. Both have maple necks, and high mass bridges. Biggest difference IMO is in the pickups. A.S. in my collection has the hotter pickups of the two, just overall more girth in the standard sound wise.

6. LotusCarsLtd52

LotusCarsLtd52

Dec 6, 2009
    I tried both and while the Jazz had that nice punchy tone with both pickups on full and the tone knob all the way up, the Geddy Lee sounded much more mellow and dull in a bad way. I'm curious if this was just because of the specific instrument I tried or if all of the Geddy's sound this way. The notes weren't clear and crisp, but more thuddy.

I'm curious if the tonal differences are because of that BadAss bridge it's using or something else...because if it is, I don't want a BadAss on my instrument.

7. guroove

guroove

Oct 13, 2009
    Buffalo, NY
    Definitely NOT the badass. The only ways the BA affects the sound is that it doesn't have the rapid decay after the attack, and the overtones generated on the notes are slightly different. Also the shape of the attack is different. It's a very quick and articulate attack.

It sounds like the Geddy's setup was bad - probably old strings, bowed neck, high action, low pickups. Any combination of those things will make any instrument sound dull and thuddy.

8. My Geddy is far from muddy, mellow, or dull. In fact it's just the opposite. My Geddy is so bright and punchy, I have to crank the low mids to get some thump out of it. It's a great playing, and sounding bass. Very aggressive, yet musical tone.
    I'm sure the Geddy you tried out must have had a bad set up or strings. Or it could be a dud. In every bag of chips, you're bound to get a green one.

9. purfektstranger

purfektstranger

Apr 10, 2003
    Canada
    I get a very decent tone from my Geddy but admit that the output on the pickups seems less than on a standard American jazz.

10. Hizzoner

Hizzoner

Jan 6, 2005
    Chicago area
    Geddy= 70's growl....and faster neck....

11. 4001

4001 Inactive

Sep 29, 2004
    Lake County, IL
    I am having my Geddy Lee Jazz Bass wired for stereo like my Rickenbackers so I can send it through two amps. I am ditching the tone pot because I never use it anyway.
    Should sound KILLER!!

12. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Nov 28, 2020