1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Tone only wiring?

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by newyorkiddo, Jun 17, 2014.

1. newyorkiddo

newyorkiddo I'm actually a cat.

Jul 10, 2013
    I'm curious if wiring a pickup to a potentiometer set up as a tone control would work. If so, would the pickup play at full volume with adjustable tone? Any schematics?

2. 3397526992_cbd9daaaa0_o.

3. newyorkiddo

Jul 10, 2013
    The pickup and input jack would both get wired to that same lug?

4. Yes, but it's an output jack, not an input jack.

5. newyorkiddo

Jul 10, 2013
    Woops! Haha, thank you very much.

6. Hopkins

Hopkins Supporting Member Commercial User

Nov 17, 2010
    Houston Tx
    Owner/Builder @Hopkins Guitars
    The full signal isn't going through the pot, only the high frequencies that are being bled through the cap.

7. newyorkiddo

Jul 10, 2013
    Yes, I wired it according to the diagram, plugged it in, and totally liked the convenience of having only the tone pot, since I never really lower the volume on my basses, especially precision basses.

8. LoveThatBass

LoveThatBass

Jun 28, 2004
    You can also use a Fender "No Load" pot. It works as a tone control until you put it on "10" or full clockwise then it is out of the circuit putting absolutely no load on the pickups for full volume and tone.