1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  
  2. Welcome Back!  Please see this thread for more info about the site outage.  Thank you for your patience as we work out bugs and tweak server configs.

Tone pot not changing tone

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by Bassndrums73, Feb 22, 2021.

1. Bassndrums73

Bassndrums73

Mar 13, 2018
    Ohio
    I did some more extensive testing with the meter tonight. Took the capacitor all the way off the tone pot. Tested the pot itself with the meter while rotating the knob. It read pretty smooth up around the 250k end but when it got down to the the lower end about 8k the signal cut off and there was nothing from there to 0. It seemed pretty flakey. I took an identical 250k CTS pot from my old harness and tested it and it was good all the way up and down so I will use that one. I tried to test the capacitor with it totally removed from the pot but I don’t know what I’m doing with that because I just couldn’t get a reading. A couple of times it briefly started to read something and then the meter would go straight to overload. I ordered a couple of Sprague orange drop .047 200 volt capacitors and will use one of those with the replaced pot and see what happens. Will report back after I get the part.

2. Bassndrums73

Bassndrums73

Mar 13, 2018
    Ohio
    I got my replacement parts and soldered in a new CTS 250k pot and a Sprague orange drop capacitor and happy to say everything is working perfectly now. This bass started out as a stock Fender Limited Light Edition Jazz Bass. I didn’t like the sound of th V Mod pickups that came in it so I bought a set of Fender Ultra Noiseless pickups and installed them. I also removed the white knobs and the pearloid pickguard and replaced them with black knobs and a brown tort guard. It’s now the instrument I want it to be and it will be with me for life. Thank you everyone for helping me sort out the tone knob issues. I couldn’t have figured it out without your help. And so for your viewing pleasure here is a pic of the finished product. 4D588D1E-93C1-4087-9221-4A1B0A4BBCBC.jpeg

3. dwizum

dwizum Supporting Member

Dec 21, 2018
    Great looking bass! Your mods fit very well with the finish.

4. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Apr 16, 2021