Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Tone Pot on a milestone 3

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by grimacingreaper, Nov 7, 2005.

1. my tone pot unfortunatley has died does anyone know what this tone pot is 250k or 500k? and where i can buy one because i can't find them anywhere, thanx to all.
    *just remember i'm a newb*

2. luknfur

luknfur

Jan 14, 2004
    DIXIE
    FWIW:

you can measure a pot with a meter to determine resistance. Extremely good chance it's same as the volume in that bass. At any rate, the difference tonewise between 250K and 500K is splitting hairs. You can buy one of each for that matter, shipping will cost you more than the pots probably. General rule is 500K for HB's, 250K for singles - since 500K's are a little brighter.

The capacitor will make a lot more difference than any tone pot. And it may be the capacitor and not the tone pot that's shot. If the pot is dead, highly unlikely it's the pot itself.

Stewmac.com, guitarelectronics.com, and I would check out MF (MusiciansFriend.com) cause their shipping prices are relatively fair. Stewmac must be a subsidiary of UPS cause you buy a feather and it's going to cost you 8 bucks for shipping. Guitarelectronics I don't know about.

3. thanx for the info very helpful. i took the pot apart and found that part of it was snapped. i made a temporary fix but i will be ordering a new one soon. thanx again

4. basseuphoria

basseuphoria

May 19, 2005
    i noticed you have a milestone III. how do you like it? got mine last may @ geartree.com and it's great! thinking of changing p'ups in it though. maybe 60's customs or dimarzio jazz.

5. sorry to hijack, but ive got a question
    would this pot work properly in the volume position? i get the idea that its intended for tone control, but it sounds like something i would use, with the 1-9 being a regular sweep, and "10" being a lock in setting
    http://www.guitarelectronics.com/product/CPNL1

6. RLT

RLT

Jul 10, 2004
    South Central OH
    I asked Peavey customer service and it is a 250k pot in the Milestone lll.