1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

tone pot per pickup and blend?

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by BarkerBass, Mar 16, 2008.

1. :help:is it possible to wire up a bass to have a passive tone roll off pot for each pickup aswell as a blend and master volume?:confused:

Im fairly new to wring besides soldering pickups to eq units and switches etc so need some advice.

my thoughts are that i cant see why i couldnt wire my middle position P and my bridge MM pups to passive tone controls before sending their outputs to a blend control and onto master volume before the jack. If i am wrong please tell me, like i said reletive noob to this.

atm the bass has a rather cheap 2 band eq in it and i think id prefer passive a passive tone control then i thought to fll the extra hole in the body and hugely increase tone posibilities 2 tone pots would allow the bridge to be bright while the P was warm etc.

any help/imput greatley appreciated. :rolleyes:

2. ehque

ehque

Jan 8, 2006
    Singapore
    I don't see it being a problem. If you want individual tone pots, a blend, and a master volume, (and know how to wire pots as tones, blends, and volumes), then the signal flow should be pickups -> tones -> blend -> volume.

3. 5StringPocket

5StringPocket Supporting Member

Jan 11, 2006
    Texas
    This post is relevant to a project I'm considering - 2 pickups with individual tone pots going to a blend, then volume. If either pickup is soloed then only its tone pot is in play which would be nice going back and forth between the two pickups with different rolloff. Blending them, as pointed out, would put the individual caps in parallel and interact. If each pot had a .022 uF cap you'd get .044 uF for the blend if both pots were engaged. I don't think this is a bad thing, just something to be aware of when using it since both .022 and .047 are commonly used values which provide different sounds. I do think it would be effective to engage the tone control to roll off some highs for either pickup and have the other one off. This way only one .022 cap is in play for the selected pickup in the blend. There would seem to be a fair amount of tonal variation possible with this setup.